1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Tutor Pages

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by CloudsTES, Nov 4, 2017.

1. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Hi there
    Does anyone have experience of using The Tutor Pages to advertise their tutoring services?
    The website looks very professional, but joining involves quite an investment; I'm hesitant to join up without having any idea of how potentially effective it might be in generating leads.
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
    Many thanks

2. doctoryes

doctoryes New commenter

I understand that they offer a "money back" guarantee, if you don't find enough tutees through their website to cover their fees.
    My husband obtained some work through them a few years ago and it worked out very well.

3. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Ah, interesting! Thank you for coming back to me doctoryes.

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I had a look at this and , from what I can see, it works the same way at tutor hunt and uk tutors etc. The only difference is that you have to pay for it.
    Can anyone enlighten me as to what you get for the money?

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Lang teacher, I would guess that what you will get for your money is messed around by students with little commitment, and tight-fisted parents who really resent paying for tuition.

I find that Tutor Hunt and First Tutors are the best for me, because parents have to show some commitment to the tutor they choose by paying a reasonable fee for each introduction. UK Tutors doesn't perform as well, and I strongly suspect that the reason for this is that it charges parents less, which makes it cheaper for the to mess the tutor around. So, I shudder to think of the awful students and parents one might get if the tutor has to pay instead of them. I would be very surprised if tutors who use The Tutor Pages don't get messed around a lot more than those who use the three good sites I have mentioned.

6. langteacher

UK tutors does my head in because they split the finder fee into two bits, making it seem cheaper because they don't explain it well. The parent / student pays the first bit and then pays the tutor for the second bit and the tutor passes it on. I have had someone in the past saying that they didn't know. I do not think it it made clear. Do a dummy search!
    I therefore make in clear in the communication and have had one or two disappear at that stage. Fine by me!

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

As what UK Tutors does IS very confusing to parents I've just paid this: so, effectively their commission is split between both parties. However, maybe I should do exactly what you do and mention in the communication that their first lesson is going to cost an extra £17.50. If enough of us do this then maybe UK Tutors will have the sense to charge parents the whole lot up front, and save us all some hassle.

8. langteacher

I wouldn't mind if they made it clear! But they don't. I don't get that much work from them. Can't remember when I lay had one