1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Truth about the PGCE

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by minnieminx, Oct 26, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL

But then you start your placement. You get up too early to have breakfast, so just have coffee. You race around like a mad thing all morning and so bur off lots of calories, despite having consumed none. There is no time for lunch, maybe half a sandwich if you are lucky. Then lots more rushing around. By the time you get home you are far too exhausted to think about cooking so just have a slice of toast. Then you work all evening, so no slobbing in front of the TV. Then you go to bed and it starts all over.

The weightgain at uni in the early weeks is essential to stop you wasting away once you get to placement, embrace it!

2. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Which is exactly why I chose a SCITT PGCE, I've been in school since September 1st and have only had around 10 seminar days, and they've been very active and thought-provoking, we certainly don't just get to sit and listen, sometimes that would be nice!! I think I may have the best provider in the UK!! I don't think there's been a day in school where I've just sat and watched whats been happening (apart from the main input for each lesson) as I've been treated like a member of staff since day one and have been used for group work etc. Even if they had expected me to just sit and watch I never could have, I would have just joined in regardless! [​IMG]
    However, the SCITT course has been much much more intense when comparing it to fellow PGCE students on uni courses experiences, so I have gained weight through not having time to eat and then eating the wrong things because I'm too tired to cook!!

3. [​IMG] This made me smile.
    Please come back to us in a few weeks' time and let us know if minnieminx was right. <a title="Smile - [​IMG][/URL]

4. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I've lost weight so far.
    No time to snack, can't even finish a coffee between lectures/seminars and often don't have time to eat all of lunch as food is banned from the library. Weight lifting from all the books & files. Less wine in the evening so that I can carry on working after dinner.
    And placement is indeed a whole new level of manic ... with added PE.
    Having said that, it's 'reading week' and the triple-choc muffins in the uni cafe look soooo good. Must resist!

5. jaimexuk

jaimexuk New commenter

I've lost weight too, I was quite shocked when I weighed myself this weekend..my parents saw me and ordered I put some weight on, lol. I think it's through being on my feet all day, and going up and down the three floors to get to my department, but I've been making time to still workout too. When I'm busy I forget to eat, and so far I've been busy busy busy... with the bad always comes the good :)

6. This thread has made me chuckle. I had high hopes that I would lose weight when I started the PGCE but I seem to be comfort eating to tackle the stress and any calories I'm burning at uni are being negated by chocolate !
    I'm hoping that when I start my placement after half term I will burn some calories off for good - the teachers at my school never seem to stop and are always on the go so hopefully this will cancel out the comfort eating when I get home.

7. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

That's my main problem too, am going to have to go cold turkey as I have a serious habit at the moment!!

8. Haha, I've moved back in with my parents after 8 years away and oddly my diet is now much much worse! I daren't weigh myself, but I can feel I've put on lots of weight in the last couple of months. I am so tired all the time, I eat much more than I used to, and its all bad food because my parents have appalling eating habits! And yes, I've tried buying my own healthy food but my brother (who also lives at home), eats it all!

9. My placements consisted of eating absolutely nothing during the day and not having time to cook in the evening. So instead I'd order pizza, buy fried chicken meals and eat more than my body weight in Morrison's danish pastries and Kettle Chips.

10. I lost 3 stone on my PGCE. I was forever up and down stairs and toing and froing and worked through lunch. Now, it's going back on as i have been unable to find a job and have been munching!