1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Truth about the PGCE Number 2

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Muzelle, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Muzelle

Muzelle New commenter

The PGCE (and to some extent teaching in general) is a little like being a parent. Your life will become completely secondary to the needs of the children who are placed in your care - your pupils. Everything you do is in the interest of these children. The only difference between this and being a parent is that they are not your children and you do not love them and they do not love you (in that parent/child way). Essentially you are giving up your life in support of children you will never know outside the boundaries of the school. Are you ready to make that commitment?

2. Muzelle

Muzelle New commenter

Err..because it's difficult to get a teaching job without one. But does that mean I should expect to give up the vast majority of my own life for the rest of my life for not much in return?

Teaching is a brutally time and thought consuming profession. But working with enthusiastic appreciative children in an environment that is supportive, nurturing and inspiring makes the effort worthwhile. I know because I've done it. However, when those ingredients are changed the nature of the job becomes completely transformed, and one is left with a shell of a life and very little to show for it. The education system in this country is, like many aspects of our culture, extremely polarized, and to my mind the more challenging schools require 'teachers' who have a different set of skills and motivations than those we traditionally associate with teaching.

3. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You are at the beginning of your teaching career. It honestly does get easier.

4. Muzelle

Muzelle New commenter

I taught primary music for 7 years. I was Head of Department for 2 of those. I worked long hours, I had a good salary. It was an independent school. I didn't have a qualification. I was made redundant. I couldn't find a job. I'm on a secondary PGCE in a quasi special needs school. It's another world and it makes me think 'this is the teaching profession.....really?!!' Road sweeping seems a better option. Calmer anyway!

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Go sweep roads then! Honestly, I don't know what point you are making.

6. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Wow - not sure I would continue training if I felt this way, just wondering why you didn't train for Primary if you preferred it.

7. Muzelle

Muzelle New commenter

The point is that teaching can and should be a wonderfully symbiotic, enriching and stimulating experience for BOTH teachers and pupils, but sadly appears, in many schools, to be none of these things.

Sir Ken Robinson is more eloquent than I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U&feature=share

8. Muzelle

Muzelle New commenter

No primary courses in my subject were available at the time of application. And I thought (think) that adding secondary training to my experience would provide more employment opportunities. There aren't many jobs out there these days.