1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Trust School in Singapore

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by T0nyGT, Sep 21, 2019.

1. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Does anyone have any information on the British trust school in Singapore? Where does it rank as a place to work compared to other schools in the area?

They're advertising extremely early this year for an August start.

2. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Top 3, no?

3. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Top, top school, excellent package. If you're offered a job there then you'll be crazy to turn it down!

4. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Agree with everything above. This will be their first wave of adverts from those who are definitely leaving, some staff may not have made up their mind yet (they have until December).

5. jayjay johns

jayjay johns New commenter

I'm not so sure, although it certainly has a wonderful reputation, I do know of a great teacher that moved there from the Wonderland school in KL and found it to be very stuffy and Anglo orientated. This was a few years ago so much may have changed.

I have always found the close association with the Tanglin Club that only admitted non whites in 1962 and gave women membership rights and the vote in 1992 somewhat difficult to stomach but thats just me.

6. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I have to agree that their vibe is not to my liking. Quite stuffy, traditional, superior attitude. Very old school attitude of coming abroad to civilize the natives. They’d deny it of course, but actions speak louder.

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

On one of my visits the art teacher and head of school were proudly showing off a showcase atelier with beautiful natural materials, gorgeous working areas, functional set up for children to access resources and self manage. On inquiry about how they maintained it in such pristine condition, the reply was “Oh, the children aren’t allowed in here. They have other places to work where they can’t do damage. Teachers bring them supplies.”

8. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

Fair point. I remember planning to apply for a job at one stage and my boss was friendly with the head. He said he would put in a good word for me if I really wanted him to but he didn't think it would be my kind of place at all and I would probably hate it. However it would impress a lot of people if they saw it on your CV and you could come away with a good chunk of savings, even living on an above-modest lifestyle.

9. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Agree with much of what has been said already. Horrid establishment.

10. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

On a visit there a few years ago I saw that the annotated diagram of a river valley hanging on the wall in the Geography classroom was exactly the same diagram (of the River Tees, UK) that had hung on my Geography classroom wall 30yrs ago in the UK. On commenting that the example was rather Anglocentric ("aren't there any better regional examples ? Maybe the Mekong, p'hraps ?") I was informed that the UK example was "better for the IGCSE". Make of this what you will, it could mean nothing, it could mean much. I do note that this was after the school had achieved IB accreditation to teach the IB Diploma. I guess that you could argue that using UK examples in a school in Singapore is "internationalisation of the curriculum" !