1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The trials of trying to have a holiday in these turbulent times

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlejackhorner, Sep 15, 2020 at 5:07 PM.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

I am sure that many on here have had holidays abroad cancelled and have decided to either give up or have a break in the UK.
    We have had 3 holidays cancelled so booked a cottage in Cornwall. We were just setting off when I got a text from my friend, who I had met up with a few days earlier, to say that the whole family were heading out for a long journey for a Covid test.
    My heart sank. I thought I had planned it all carefully with free cancellation up until 2 days before we were due to go. So we set off with mixed feelings, knowing that we might well have to return within a few days if the test was positive. Fortunately she let me know today that it was negative. However it's now put us off planning anything that can't be changed at a moment's notice. We have also found that it is so busy that it's a struggle to get into a cafe for lunch so it will be a packed lunch for the rest of the holiday.
    I know I'm lucky to get away and the weather is great but Covid definitely affects every aspect of our lives.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

We've had 3 holidays cancelled.

3. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Given up on a holiday for this year. Have flights rearranged for the end of April. Who knows if we will be able to go.

4. littlejackhorner

I did notice that you ended up cancelling your holiday this month. It's a bit miserable having nothing to look forward to isn't it?
    Hopefully next year will be better.

5. littlejackhorner

Fingers crossed. I've rearranged this years May holiday to May next year.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Can't afford a holiday this year. So for us, there is no need to cancel.
    Besides we oldies are supposed to be still be isolating. Not that too many folk seem to be isolating.

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We abandoned holiday plans early on and haven't booked anything else. I'm a real home bird and it takes something special to get me on holiday. Just going away for the sake of it doesn't work. I do rather envy people I know with second homes who are using them just now though.

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Are you still off to Majorca, Belle? MrA's worst-human-ever boss has officially put the kibosh on. If Italy goes into quarantine, MrA will have to take it unpaid, despite his working from home perfectly well during lockdown. Even if it happens while we're there.
    Just imagine why this to55er's wife left him within a year of their marriage.

9. Aquamarina1234

We are jointly trying to complete the labyrinthine form for tavel to Italy. Those of you who teach Italian - try and imagine a B (whatever now) grade kid translating it from Italian to English for our use.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  10. littlejackhorner

Enjoy your holiday. Fingers crossed for no quarantine at the end of it.

11. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

There was a brief period in my life where if I hadn't taken a holiday, I'd have gone insane. Another period followed where I was able to take holidays all the time and lots of long weekends away. These days, with a far less stressful job, I find the notion of a holiday something of a chore and thankfully since the start of the pandemic, my sweetheart has no desire to put our lives at risk, which suits me fine.

I had to go into work over the lockdown and really enjoyed the separate couple of weeks I took off, albeit we stayed at home. The pandemic has been exhausting for everyone in my line of work and the prospect of all the palava of going away at this time doesn't appeal one iota. There's always another time that can be done when the world is safe again.

Or we might decide that holidays have always been over-hyped and really not worth the expense and trouble.

12. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We have our fingers crossed that we will actually get away on our holiday on Friday, to Northumberland. I'm not counting on anything until we actually leave! We've missed three holidays, and I was sad about them, but at the time it wasn't unexpected. Whereas now there seems a real chance that we might actually go. So if we can't I will be really disappointed. I know it's first world problems, but I really feel for people who've missed their holidays. It's something that's looked forward to so much.

I love going on holiday. We have very unglamorous holidays and I don't really mind where we go, I just like getting away from the stress of normal life. But I recognise that are very lucky to live in a nice place with even nicer places in easy reach, and if we can't go away for some reason I'm determined to make the best of it. I can't imagine having to explain to a child why they can't go on holiday though. That must be so sad.

littlejackhorner likes this.
  13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

We've just booked a footage on the coast in East Sussex for a week in November. Daughter and partner will join us. Owner has agreed a full refund if our area or theirs is out under lockdown.
    There's a heated indoor pool, a gym and lovely gardens and the accusation is lovely, with two en-suites. We will undoubtedly spend a lot of time inside but will have the facilities in my campervan for trips out. We don't intend on eating out... maybe a few takeaways, it I am happy to just chill out and cook. We just want a change of scene.

littlejackhorner and Doitforfree like this.
  14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Skiing cancelled, summer OK. I guess 1-1 is OK under the circumstances. Youngest back from third holiday in 2020, 3-1 on aggregate.

15. Doitforfree

Assuming we get away on Friday that's more or less our plan, except we expect to be on the beach every day, weather permitting, and we're fairly flexible on what is acceptable weather! I'm taking far more food with us then normal, as we don't really plan to eat out, which is a bit sad, but feels better at the moment. There is a lovely cafe nearby which we know and which has increased its outside seating area so I think we'll feel ok to go there. Our cottage is about as in the middle of nowhere as you can get, but about 100 yards from the beach. It's the getting away. I'm happy to read and eat go for walks without feeling I should be doing a job!

16. Doitforfree

The only holiday we've had this year was a weekend in January in..... Barnard Castle!

Nanny Ogg and phlogiston like this.
  17. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Sorry to hear that you were having problems with your eyesight so early in the year!

18. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Haven't had a holiday for 2 years now!

19. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

2 cancelled and managed a last minute one abroad when the last one was cancelled. Have no inclination to book anything, whether home or abroad a long time in the future. Have decided to keep myself going with odd weekends away and planning a dream holiday for about 2 years time. Anything else will be a bonus.

20. Aquamarina1234

MrA is having a serious wobble today. I wouldn't be surprised if he moves to postpone this evening. Fine by me.