1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The trials of travel on the Clapham omnibus

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

The bus I've just come home on was full apart from one seat. But the person seated by the window had her legs swivelled round so that there was very little room left on the seat beside her. I carefully lowered one half of one bum cheek onto the remaining space and gave her a quizzical stare. She was a white- haired elderly woman of haughty demeanour who did not budge an inch but said defiantly, "I can't turn round because I've got a rucksack on my back". As I was tamping down the urge to enquire why she couldn't take it off and put it on her lap, she went on, "I've got to keep it on because it's full of heavy things". Curiosity got the better of me so I asked, "What sort of heavy things?" and the snappy rejoinder from her was , "Mostly nails".

So I had to perch uncomfortably on quarter of a seat for the next 20 minutes while the bus crawled through heavy traffic from Clapham Junction to Wandsworth because this woman had a s***ing rucksack full of nails.

I am still wondering what she needed them for. And rucksacks on backs on public transport are an abomination. Buses weren't designed to accommodate them. Specially when they are full of nails!

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Maybe she needed the nails because she has a screw loose.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

But if you think about it, nomad, why would she need a whole rucksackful of nails just to replace one loose screw?

4. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

Public transport is an abomination. Have you considered getting a bike or car?

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

No. But I am getting a scooter. I started a thread about it yesterday.

6. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Make sure you can see what's behind you
    [​IMG]

midnight_angel, RedQuilt and nomad like this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Love the 'L' plate.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

For the ageing Mod.

[​IMG]

9. Spiritwalkerness

Is it L for Lambretta?

10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Whose nails were they, do you think? And did they still have the fingers attached?

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ha, do you think she was a witch and was intending to boil them up in her cauldron tonight?

12. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

@Spiritwalkerness's scooter is properly pimped! I said in the thread yesterday, that your spotter must be pimped @Lascarina.

I had a scooter once. I was overtaken by cyclists. I decided that scooterism was not for me.

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

How about of of these?

[​IMG]

14. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

I think you wrote a post a few years back about a rude nanny, when you'd spoken to a few toddlers on a bus in her care and she told you off. In my utterly humble opinion I'd just keep my gob shut when on a bus in your neck of the woods. Seriously, be bloody careful...

Snot worth it. Keep stchum (sp) or come and live in the provinces like me and my sorts do.

15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Nah, L for Leather if you're a biker, innit.

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I don't think she was a threat, Rachel, just odd and a bit presumptuous. I go on buses and trains nearly every day and I'm used to the area. But thanks for your concern.

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  17. Spiritwalkerness

Innit, indeedy
    [​IMG]