1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Tree of Life

Discussion in 'Personal' started by JTL, Jul 9, 2011.

1. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I went to see this film last night with a friend. The weather had been awful all day and thought it would cheer us up. Kate Muir in the Times gave it 5 stars so I avoided reading the actual review so as not to spoil the plot.
    What a boring waste of time! If we hadn't been sitting on the inside of a long row we may have walked out, (and we kept thinking that it must get better.)
    I certainly read the review when I got home and, although it said how amazing it was, apparently audiences in America have been walking out and demanding their money back.
    I won't 'ruin' it for others by telling you what it is all about, but I would be very interested in other people's views.

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

3. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

They fairly slated it on the Newsnight Review show on Friday!

4. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Love the idea of not revealing the plot - there isn't one.

I went to watch this with MrP, not expecting to like it, which I didn't in some parts, especially at the end, but it looked fabulous. Brad Pitt was very good, indeed; I forgot it was him for most of the time. The child actors were staggeringly good.

The audience, apart from a group of seven who came in noisily and left as noisily (voucher for another film if you leave within 30 minutes having not liked it) were utterly rapt.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Did you know that the humble mountain ash/rowan tree is the celtic tree of life?
    Totally irrelevant, I know, but mildly interesting if you look it up.