1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The top five British post WWII architechtural achievements

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Wanda_the_Wonder, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Occasional commenter

The top five British post WWII architechtural achievements:

1 Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ the King Liverpool
    [​IMG]

2 The GPO Tower London[​IMG]

3 Coventry Cathedral
    [​IMG]

4 The Barbican London
    [​IMG]

5 The Shard London[​IMG]

So there you have it. One poster's top five.

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Agree with no 2. The rest are dreadful. The PO tower passes all tests of integrity.

3. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have to say that you are a bit late posting your newest thread this morning.;) Not that I am much interested in post-WW2 architecture myself. I like a bit of gothic or James of St John, and some of them are ruins, despite your five carbuncles. I don't have much time for HRH, but I have to agree with him on architecture. In modernist terms the latest I will go is probably Art Deco. Its "art" and you can have a "decko" at it!

4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Presumably you are not a fan of academy schools.

5. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

I need someone to explain modernist/brutalist architecture to me because I don't get it!

6. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

What is it all about WW11? If you know about WW11 what is the point? Can I interrogate YOU?

7. George_Randle

George_Randle Established commenter

Didn't save it from the giant cat in The Goodies though.

xmal, nomad, blazer and 1 other person like this.
  8. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I'm still thinking. I agree that they look spectacular, but apart from the theatres in the Barbican, I have not visited or used any of the buildings. Buildings have to do more than look spectacular, they need to be fit for purpose.
    A building is no good if the roof leaks or it overheats in the summer.

9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Tate Modern in St Ives.
    Stansted airport
    Sainsbury Centre at UEA

10. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

National Theatre.

11. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Not sure if it's an "achievement", but I liked Flint House that won the RIBA House of the Year in 2015.

12. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

My new patio

13. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

The new roof at King's Cross. The Falkirk Wheel. The wobbly bridge. The new lifeboat station at Bridlington. The church inside an old church in Pontefract.

fraisier likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

George_Randle likes this.
  15. WB

WB Lead commenter

The roof on the British Museum. British_Museum_Great_Court_roof.jpg British_Museum_Great_Court_roof.jpg

George_Randle likes this.
  16. WB

WB Lead commenter

(Worth seeing twice. Sorry)

17. WB

WB Lead commenter

The conversion to produce The Tate Modern.

The Globe Theatre

The Humber Bridge

18. fraisier

fraisier Senior commenter

I wrote a bit about brutalism here below. Not the most stonkingly beautiful architectural style but not all brutalist architecture is devoid of interest, far from it.

https://community.tes.com/threads/most-over-rated-historic-event-ever.796422/page-3#post-12959399

This is a good explanation IMO:

https://www.designingbuildings.co.u...own as Brutalist,scale use of poured concrete.

19. fraisier

fraisier Senior commenter

Re Coventry Cathedral, as it gets too much stick IMO. Granted, it's no Notre Dame, although the stained-glass windows are gorgeous, but that stands to reason as they were designed by John Piper:

[​IMG]

but it mustn’t be seen just as a modern building, albeit a religious one. It is so much more than that, it has a powerful historical significance and to me and many it is primarily a highly symbolic building, one created to remind us of the horrors of war and also, linked to that, created as a testament to hope emerging from the ruins of tyranny:

Earlier this year, Coventry Cathedral was selected as one of the top ten places which tell the history of England’s art, architecture and sculpture. Explaining why he chose Coventry Cathedral, judge Will Gompertz said: Coventry Cathedral is a magnificent, optimistic and bold response to the horrors of war. To create a modern and ambitious building dedicated to spiritual enrichment from the literal ashes of destruction was – and is – a sublime answer to brutality. It is a building born out of love and hope made from the rubble of hate and despair.”