1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The top 5 things you would pack

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tassiegirl, Mar 3, 2012.

1. I am trying to work out what on earth to pack into my shipping allowance.

I have no idea. Please can you offer some pointers and ideas of what you took/had wished you took with you.

Peoples top 5 would be great. I get a basically furnished apartment and I'm in SE Asia. I have 2cubic metres for my allowance.

It's quite hard because I have stuff that I really need between now and July that I know I need to ship. Arrrggghhh!

Please help me start to be ruthless and pack the correct stuff!

2. Original photos of family and friends in their original frames - lots of memories there. They will add a touch of familiarity to your new 'environment'.

3. squeakyhaggis

squeakyhaggis New commenter

Depends on whether you are roughly the same size and shape as a local or not. If you're not, then pack 2 cubic metres of clothes and shoes. Unless it's really cheap to have clothes made.

4. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

5-10 gang trailling socket for all your 3 pin devices llike phone chargers, laptop etc! That way you only need 1x 3 to 2 pin (or whatever you need wherever you're going) adaptor to plug them all in. Good if it also has a switch on it (or even a switch for every gang!)

If the electrics are dodgy, an expensive one with surge protection might be useful too!

Dodgy Chinese trailng sockets commonly available have a habit of fizzing and crackling and cause flames to shoot out of the sockets - don't ask me how I know!

Also check out whether the 'feminine hygiene products' of your choice (assuming from your name you are female) are readily available where you are going. Sometimes they're not.

5. I'm definitely not the same size as the locals!

Photos, a few books that I can't bare to part with and lots of clothes, especially underwear.

Bed sheets? Apparently its hard to buy decent quality stuff there.

Shoes? Trainers etc, but what about summer shoes? I'm guessing I need closed toed pairs? Or at least I mean I can't live in my thongs and birkies?

Yes, I am aware I'm being pedantic and a stress head, but I haven't done this for 10 years and I didn't have much stuff then!

6. Definitely! I had to have a toenail pulled out in my first week in Thailand - not a pleasant experience.
    And I agree with the comments about clothes unless you like pedal pushers and three quarter sleeve jackets.

7. I've only had shipping sent once but I remember the day it arrived it was like Christmas, but I'd actually been given all the presents I really wanted. My favourite tea pot, toast rack and matching butter dish, huge fluffy dressing gown and big slippers, cocktail shaker, my favourite bedspread. There were a few practical items like books, but I think you can probably guess how I spent that day.....pack "creature comforts.

8. Nail clippers, elastoplast, germolene, small screw driver, corkscrew/bottleopener, blutak, jar of marmite, HP sauce, big box of PG tips, hard copy of all emails/phone numbers/bank details, (and if you dye your hair, 6 months worth of L'Oreal Excellence)

9. Stato, I'm with you there, include things that you'll be pleased to see again. And things to turn your apartment into your home. Take the really important things that you will need in the first couple of months in your hold luggage, if you're buying your own ticket look for airlines with large allowances and that you can pay for an extra bag with, not pay by kg. Be careful with shipping food items and even things like toothpaste, as they can go pretty bad after sitting out in the heat for all that time.

10. Savlon antiseptic creme.

11. Corkscrew.
    Never, ever, be without one. You might be suprised at some of the places that I've had difficulty sourcing the said article.
    I've even had to rely on middle managers to open my bottles from time to time - the suction power gained from all those years of sucking up can be awesome to behold. Check out the love bites on the Head's bum for the best one's to ask.

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I don't know specifically about SE Asia. Only ever done ME.
    Definitely photos (and frames if they are not going to break or are ones you particularly like)
    At least one wall picture which is 'yours'
    2 or 3 personal household items which remind you of home.
    As above, linen and or soft furnishings
    If you read novels take enough to get you through to the next UK holiday (or a Kindle etc).
    A decent mobile
    A decent laptop
    Check what the electrical system is (voltage and sockets) and ensure you have a large handful of adapters.

13. motorbike.

14. You made me laugh that can't be good. In fact, I can't stop laughing.

15. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

I'm REIGHT surprised, owd mon. I thowt thy corkscrew was built-in. No wonder thou 'ast such trouble sortin' out th' difference atween boss's **** and thy elbow. Dost want a lend o' me compass?

16. Hello, petit Pinochet.

17. Corkscrew? No one travales with a corkscrew anymore. NO ONE!
    The trusted Swiss Army Knife, however....
    [​IMG]
    (((((((((((+))^^^^^^^^- Not bad, eh?

18. Knives.

I couldn't find a bread knife in Cairo, drove me barmy hacking at loaves for a few months until I went back to the UK and picked one up.

19. Very clever foney

20. What about stuff like my old pay slips etc?

How much official paperwork like bills etc do I need to keep? I don't have anywhere else in the UK or Aus to store it, so it is either binned of comes with me.