1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The time machine question

Discussion in 'Personal' started by scienceteachasghost, Oct 27, 2015.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

IF you had a time machine and could go back in time to any point of your life (it has to be within your own life, no going forwards) and 'take the helm' of yourself from that point (as your then self but with an important 'message') would you get in it?

Personally, I would not hesitate!

Vladimir likes this.
  2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I'm not sure. I think our experience shapes us into who we are and gives us the tools to move forward. I'm not sure on that basis that I'd tell myself to do anything differently.

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  3. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Precisely. We live and learn.

4. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

What an interesting question, for once! I think all of us have had those feelings from time to time, but if you think about it, if you go back in time without the entire accumulated knowledge of what has happened beyond that moment, you'd probably make the same decisions. If you have the knowledge, then you'd know things you shouldn't know and change things that should not be changed. You'd know which sporting events to bet on and make an obscene amount of money, which would change you into something you might not like. On the other hand, I could go back in time and not ditch the best bird I've ever had. I've kicked myself for that one a few times over the years.

You know what? Yeah, I'd go back too, whatever the consequences.

5. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

No, I'm happy with where and who I am now and I wouldn't want to risk changing anything.

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I could not resist it.

colpee likes this.
  7. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Sadly I think I'd return to my university days, and would not choose to be a teacher....

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Nor most people methinks - but one little tweak and you could be under a bus - no going back then☹️

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

To say that I'd change the whole direction of my life at some time in the past would be to imply I've regretted the outcome, which I haven't. I've always maintained that one of life's most formative experiences is failure, which is why I've been at odds with the good results at all costs culture in schools for some time.

On a more tactical level I can think of a number of occasions in my teens where I'd be tempted to go back and say "Look son, stop wasting your time trying to impress that one, she's not interested. However, this one here might be if you make the effort, and for God's sake go and get a better haircut."

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

16-17. I'd slap myself about so hard... but it'd sort me out.

Then again, if I did, I'd not be me... so....

12. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Seconded!

13. scienceteachasghost

I would happily return to anywhere between 1994 and 2000 and tell my younger self to 'be more confident around people' as my insane shyness/social withdrawal as a younger person is something I now (at times bitterly) regret.

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

No chance. I am who I am. I'd just make different mistakes. Worse ones!

I don't even know what the important message is now! What is it btw?

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

16. grumpydogwoman

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That's so true :)

18. grumpydogwoman

I have absolutely no reason to believe, even were I to be advised by the best and wisest brains in all history, that I would behave any better if given a second chance.

19. scienceteachasghost

Since when did Popeye hail from the Black Country/!

20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Interesting question. For me, no.

If I knew then what I know now but couldn't change what happened. No, too painful.
    If I didn't know then and had to live through it again? No, too painful. I would still make the same choices.
    If I knew then what I know now and could change it? Probably not.

I had some rough times and personal tragedies, but all of them brought me to who I am now. I do like the old adage - I regret the things I have not done (learn French better, lose weight sooner/faster/keep it off), but not the things I have done (move to the UK, have my son, etc).

BUT it would be cool to go back for a day or two and see old friends and family, those who have passed on...!

grumpydogwoman likes this.