1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The throat infection!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

I might be being dramatic, I'm not sure if it's infected but my throat is extremely sore and I'm feeling very sorry for myself :(

It doesn't hurt when I talk, it's actually worse when I'm resting or drinking. Water seems to make it worse and today I've been on a non-stop lozenger binge.

It's definitely worse at night when I'm trying to sleep.

Does anyone have any home remedies they use? I'm pretty common to getting sore throats, always happens this time of year.

Any advice would be very appreciated.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Rabid. Late stage. Quarantine.

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Gargle Listerine.

needabreak and Bonnie23 like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Strepfen. You have to ask for it at the counter and then answer a few questions from the pharmacist until they sell it to you.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Salt water gargle if you don't have any over the counter meds to hand.... oh and for Friday there's a nip of brandy... it will help you rest if it develops... but alas we aren't doctors here so if there are any other symptoms you might consider a google rather than a gargle.;)

Honey and lemon is an alternative with added ginger if you have it... and I swear by chicken broth for practically anything. Hope you feel better soon!

Bonnie23 likes this.
  6. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Tyrozets are great- I found them to be more effective than strepsils.

https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/tyrozets-lozenges/prd-gr5?glCountry=GB

I've always got them from the chemist, and I usually have to ask for them, as they are behind the counter, secreted somewhere.

Check your tonsils and throat, I've had quinsy- it feels like your choking on your tonsils. Get yourself to the doctor, you'll need antibiotics.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  7. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Ouch! I've had something similar and it's very annoying to say the least. I would definitely second the salt water and lemon and honey remedies from @needabreak . Chicken soup does work a treat too and is so yummy when you're under the weather as well. I remember also having a nice warm chicken and veg broth with some lemom and ginger tea and that went down a treat too. Can you take paracetamol for the pain? Panadol is a bit expensive but seems to work very quickly. Hope you feel better soon. In a number of other jobs this wouldn't be such an issue...

needabreak and Bonnie23 like this.
  8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I find generic paracetamol is cheaper and you can get capsules that are quick and much cheaper than Panadol, definitely worth a try.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

As well as paracetamol or whatever, sage tea is a warm hug for sore throats. Steep a few leaves in boiling water, easy.
    If you hate the taste of it, just let it stand in the room near where you sleep-good smell. Or chuck loads of sage in the bath- good vapour.
    The best remedy for anything is sleep, so I hope you're not actually reading this now...

Bonnie23 likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Are you legally entitled to ask them to let you have the secretions you'll have paid for as well?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    slingshotsally likes this.
  11. slingshotsally

Dissolve aspirin in water and gargle.

Definitely works.

needabreak and Duke of York like this.
  12. slingshotsally

Duke of York likes this.
  13. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Chloraseptic spray.
    My vegan daughter would also advise green tea, infused with lemon and plenty of turmeric and ginger.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've yet to find a proprietary medicine that is significantly better than the basic supermarket brand.

I prefer the dispersible tablets as they are easier to consume, but I have an interesting story to tell.

I was one day asked if I could repair the tablet making machine that the pharmacy dept in the hospital I worked in had. I need to describe it since I doubt many will otherwise understand how they work.

It was a substantially built machine in which the pharmacists poured powdered drug mixture into a hopper and set a control on the machine for the number of tablets it had to produce. An automated process then set a cast iron arm into action. The arm wasn't dissimilar to your own. and where your hand would be, it had a pill-shaped cavity into which the drug powder would be pumped under high pressure to form the tablet.

Nobody knew how it had happened, but a crack appeared in the cast iron hand, which stopped it reliably producing tablets.

Those who know a bit about engineering will tell you you can't weld cast iron like you can steel, but you can bronze weld it; and if you can do that well enough, you'll be able to create a join as strong as the original part. But that isn't so simple, in that the cast iron needs to be heated to the appropriate temperature, before you try to bronze weld it. I won't bore you with how I achieved that without a furnace. All you need to know is that I did it and it worked.

Actually, there's something else you need to know, which was the point in my mentioning all this.

The pharmacist tested the machine after I'd mended it by making some tablets and dropping them in a glass of water and studying whether they dispersed. He explained that the more tightly pressed together the drug powder was, the more efficiently it broke up when it came into contact with liquid. It isn't intuitive, but I witnessed it with my own eyes and this was confirmed in the delight of the pharmacist's eyes.

The hairline crack in the arm had prevented the machine generating sufficient pressure to do this, so although they could make tablets with it, they were ones that would sit intact in the stomach until nature did its course.

15. slingshotsally

@Duke of York

That's very interesting, I didn't realise the pressure during manufacture of a pill can have such an impact on its efficacy.

16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I always swore by TCP but have no idea of it is still made....
    TCP.jpg

17. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

It's still available and how evocative the smell is! While I was hitchhiking round Greece with 2 friends, when we were all 17, we took a bottle of it with us but it got broken in my rucksack. The smell lingered and lingered and is indelibly linked in my mind with the 6 weeks travelling we did. Whenever I smell TCP, I am transported to Greece as it was in 1959.

It is very good for sore throats and I hope you soon get rid of yours, Bonnie.

Bonnie23, emerald52 and HelenREMfan like this.
  18. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Sit in a steam room or put your head, with a towel draped over, above a bowl filled with boiling water.

Bonnie23 likes this.
  19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

...and then go out and box 10 rounds for the world championship.

Bonnie23 and emerald52 like this.
  20. edfrancis

edfrancis New commenter

For throat infection,gargle is the best solution.Try 4 to 5 times a day.Sure it will cure.

Bonnie23 likes this.