1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The threat posed by PRP

Discussion in 'Education news' started by lanokia, Nov 10, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

cissy3 likes this.
  2. drek

drek Star commenter

'Good' pets do get rewarded. The ones who are good at saying yes to everything management ask them to load on to staff 'under' them in the line management system, however unreasonable the demands.
    Does anyone remember the good old days when classroom 'monitors' often turned out to be the worst bullies in the school. As teacher's pet they got away with many a malicious behaviour!
    Seems to be a similar culture pervading performance management in schools. Call it performance management all you like SLT, dfe and ofsted, but 2 years down the line and most teachers know what it really is, and if they don't it should hit their school soon, as the worst of bad practices are shared via national training meets and consultants who are raking it in. 'I know what ofsted really really want to see this time round'.
    I believe they have the audacity to call it best practice. What utter billshot.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

That's what my old school said whilst failing to realise how demoralised the staff were!

drek and cissy3 like this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The paradox is that:
    teachers are supposed to be reasonably intelligent people

the problems with PRP and data-based targets are fairly obvious
    the problems with observations are fairly obvious
    the problems with data are fairly obvious
    teacher input does not equal pupil output for many fairly obvious reasons

These things have all been shown and explained in accessible places

and yet management teams all over the country are somehow "not getting it" and are instead subjecting teachers to crazy targets and capability based on subjective procedures.

However, it is very good to see the ATL leader saying these things quite clearly and publicly.

Anonymity, drek and cissy3 like this.
  6. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The basic problem is that they are all (teachers, managers, etc) part of the Matrix.
    No one inside the Matrix can be shown what it is.

So everyone acts as if it does not exist.

The answer has to come from outside by Government (the Source) accepting that the Matrix has failed and deleting their Agents (OFSTED).

Until this happens everyone is trapped.

drek likes this.
  7. Treefayre2

Treefayre2 Established commenter

Words are pointless.

Strike action is the only tool left.

ATL don't strike.

ATL are part of the problem.

There goes that matrix:=)

-myrtille- likes this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

So often I read that OFSTED are to blame for virtually all the ills of the current education crisis, and there is the call to get rid of OFSTED, as the first step to trying to improve pretty much everything. Now, this is not a defence of OFSTED, but just wondering if abolishing it would lead to changes & improvement.

My reasoning being: the Government has scrapped NC levels, and what are many schools doing? Creating their own assessment system which often involves......levels & sub-levels, sometimes even more finely-tuned than the old NC evolved into (although they were NEVER designed to do this!). So, instead of using the 'freedom' the Govt has given to try more teacher & pupil useful ways of assessing - and reduce workload - schools seem incapable of creating their own way of doing things.

OK, scrap OFSTED - but what makes people think schools will cease to do all the things for which we now blame OFSTED?

lanokia and drek like this.
  9. drek

drek Star commenter

Agree. But they can no longer wield the ofsted stick nor hide their greed and ruthlessness, behind 'policy'.

10. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The problem with OFSTED is the high stakes judgement it produces. In a lot of the posts we have seen, there has been a change of headteacher caused by a bad OFSTED result. The new HT has then set about 'dealing' with the perceived issues and doing so in a very destructive way. If you get rid of OFSTED and also the high judgement of league tables then you remove the downward pressure that results in this sort of behaviour.

You will not get rid of the behaviour entirely because there will always be some as*h*le who is promoted to a high position somewhere. But, hopefully, things will gradually improve.

The point is that, in a great many schools, the atmosphere is incredibly toxic and this is something that seems to be spreading. The major justification from management behaving in this way is that:"if they don't they will be marked down by OFSTED".

11. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Sorry to just quote this bit, with added emphasis, but it is so true. It made me so angry that both kids and staff would demand a level for each piece of work, where, in my subject, it would not be possible to achieve all the requirements of levelling in one piece of work.

Levelling, in my opinion, is totally misunderstood, and mis-applied. (rant over)

lanokia likes this.