1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Thought Police In Schools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Mar 3, 2016.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Vladimir likes this.
  2. Erin_Rhys

Erin_Rhys Occasional commenter

Oh my! This is incredible.

Vladimir likes this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

A poor bit of journalism, which allows UKIP to play the martyr again.

No, it isn't the society we want but with teachers now obliged to report signs of extremism and all the fuss about schools not doing enough to prevent pupils from accessing Daesh propaganda on social media I don't really see how you can blame the school.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think the school were too panicky here - UKIP is a legitimate political party with MPs, MEPs and councillors. The EDL much less legitimate, of course. Neither are supporters of terrorism, ISIS/Daesh etc. so why they should be regarded as 'extremists' I'm not sure...

What about a pupil who looked at Trump's speeches on line?

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

UKIP is a legitimate party. The EDL is something else altogether.

Yoda- and Vladimir like this.
  6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I tend to agree.
    Or they have misinterpreted the guidelines.

But in the current world had they not done so and had the police not acted they might have been blamed had the pupil turned to the more extreme areas.
    Seemingly you are blamed for either acting or not acting :(

Flere-Imsaho likes this.
  7. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

8. Cracked_up

Cracked_up New commenter

A poor bit of journalism, which allows UKIP to play the martyr again.

Nonsense. It is merely a report in the BBC. No sensationalism.

No, it isn't the society we want but with teachers now obliged to report signs of extremism and all the fuss about schools not doing enough to prevent pupils from accessing Daesh propaganda on social media I don't really see how you can blame the school.

Desperate rant from you showing little thought about what schools are for.

Pupils might well have cause to refer to groups such as the EDL as part of their regular study, along with a range of legal political groups - and so going online to seek such information is to be expected in a modern democracy: (thinking history, RE, social studies, geography).

Involving the police is a sign we have lost the plot, but then in education, the plot was lost 20 years ago at least, and this is just more nonsense which supposedly intelligent teachers are now accepting as the norm.

EDIT: the logical extension here is to raid school libraries and remove any reference to extreme groups forthwith. It would certainly make studying modern history difficult but put us back in line with Soviet Russia, North Korean and China.

Vladimir and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  9. Flere-Imsaho

Poor journalism isn't limited to sensationalism. I was talking about the way the EDL aspect is only mentioned briefly in order to focus on UKIP.

It wasn't desperate or ranty (unlike your avatar!)
    I think the legislation which requires teachers to report pupils is ludicrous and counterproductive. It destroys any trust between pupil and teacher and police involvement over something so silly is more likely to encourage extremism than prevent it. But the blame for that lies with the government not the individual teachers concerned.

sabrinakat, poltergeist and delnon like this.
  10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

So basically students should be banned from having anything but liberal viewpoints even if law enforcement have to be involved?

UKIP is a political party, not a terrorist organisation. I can understand they would have an issue with EDL but calling the police because a student has shown an interest in a political party is just downright wrong (whether UKIP, the Green Party, Labour etc.!

Whoever sanctioned that phone call should be immediately fired and never be allowed to work with children again. The job of a school is to educate pupils, not to control their beliefs.

The officer who interviewed the student should also be immediately dismissed. Asking a child about their political affiliations is disgusting.

Vladimir and Cracked_up like this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Why did you quote me before writing this? It's not what I said at all.
    So which is it - understandable or a firing offence?

Schools now have a legal duty to help prevent pupils being drawn into extremism, including non-violent extremism, and to ensure pupils do not access extreme websites. You want to sack people, sack Theresa May for coming up with this tosh.

sabrinakat likes this.
  12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

My italics. Who has decided on behalf of all students that UKIP is extremist and either they must not read about them or if they do they must be shopped and cleansed of their sins? You are no doubt brushing it off because it concerns UKIP, overlooking the fact that if we are going to report kids for reading about a democratically elected, bona fide party in the UK because we (whoever that group of clowns is) have decided they are not worthy - where will it end?

Reporting it shows a teacher with little brains and an inability to think for his or herself, the police interviewing the kid is scary - the whole process there is as lifted from 1984 when Winston is shopped to the thought police. What next, rats in a face cage when the kid says 'well actually, I quite like Farage'.

It is beyond outrageous, it is sick to the core.

13. Flere-Imsaho

Oh jeez. My problem with the article was that it focused on UKIP rather than the EDL. I don't brush it off at all.

poltergeist and delnon like this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The problem is with the school Head Teacher. Head teacher Marie-Louise Litton said: "I wish to make it absolutely clear that the decision to pursue the matter further was not made by the school."

Maybe not, but the school did make the decision to go off at half-**** and report the [apparent] concern. The WRAP/Prevent training is pretty clear as to when to identify behaviour which is not of a concern and when to wear your panic-trousers and run around bleating that the sky is falling in. Seems the HT adopted the latter strategy.

And here, too, it seems. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...r-son-said-he-wanted-to-fight-terrorists.html

colpee, viceroy, Vince_Ulam and 2 others like this.
  15. Cracked_up

Cracked_up New commenter

Oh jeez. My problem with the article was that it focused on UKIP rather than the EDL. I don't brush it off at all.

And with good reason:

From the BBC...

"Mick Taylor said his 15-year-old son was asked by police whether he was a UKIP activist, and has described police action as inappropriate."

That alone is disgusting. What next Pupils questioned by police for becoming Labour or Green activists?

T0nyGT, aspensquiver_2 and delnon like this.
  16. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

"If my son had been accessing these websites on a regular basis - then maybe there would be cause for concern," Mr Taylor said.

Is possibly the funniest thing I've read all week.

UKIP - Not even once kidz!

[​IMG]

sabrinakat and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Your post three is classic 'nothing to see here folks' and you even say do not blame the school. You use the fact he visited an EDL site to twist away from the larger issue of state sponsored censorship and a no backbone, lemming mentality among teachers.

The point is we are putting fear into kids regarding sites they should have every right to visit. As another poster has said, the student (we must also remember what a student is!) could have many fair reasons for wanting to read about the EDL, too. How we can criticize countries such as North Korea for rewriting history books if we are actively doing this now ourselves is beyond me.

Whether you are far left, central or far right really should not enter into this debate.

I do wonder what on earth the teacher felt here and why they did this.It goes so much against the ethos of our profession.

Rather like the demoralized profession we now have as teachers never stood up to more government control and OFSTED, if we as teachers cannot see the absolute need to fight this then there really is no hope and the government has got what it wants - a bunch of wimps pretending to be teachers while ensuring only to follow the government dictates on censorship of thoughts and debate.

Do not blame the school? We are the ONLY ones that can change this and stand up to it.

19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If this article is correct, then the school is more to blame than previously thought:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/64...ls-banned-vote-election-racist-website-police

Teachers at Wildern School told students they were not allowed to cast votes for UKIP in a school-wide mock General Election, held before the real vote in May last year, because the party is ‘RACIST’, according to one furious parent.

Is banning a legal party (one I'd never vote for, BTW), showing that the school is taking a plitical position during a General Election? If so, isn't this illegal, or at least worthy of disciplinary proceedings against the HT?

20. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Ridiculous. The lad was probably 'researching' the groups in curiosity about what they really stood for. If he went on them regularly as has been stated (the latter, UKIP are arguably right wing racists but hardly extremists) or was recorded blogging in sympathy with EDL then there might be an issue.

Whatever next? Year 9 girl arrested for looking up the Nazi party when she is doing her WW2 homework?