1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Things They Say

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon8836, Nov 25, 2015.

1. anon8836

anon8836 New commenter

I have taught adults in Colleges of Further Education all my life, but in my retirement I volunteered to go into my local primary school once a week to "help". Here the children led me into writing poetry for them, and nowadays I get invited into their classrooms for Skype visits, which take me all over the world. It's nice to be a visitor, but I have realized how much fun you can get with primary school children and the things they say. So, I don't know if you remember that "Monsters" were the subject for National Poetry Week a few years ago. I was invited into a local school where a five year old, quite seriously asked: "When you say "monsters" could dinosaurs be included because I'm an expert on dinosaurs and if you don't know how to pronounce their names or want to know any facts, come to me." The teacher told him to shut up because it wasn't his day, ha ha But I'd written a poem called "Dinosaur Dinner" where the tyrannosaurus makes a zoo, invites his friend to a party, locks them in their cages and, unfortunately, they end up in dinosaur stew. Unfortunately he has to eat alone because his friends have now gone. So a little five year old put up her hand: "Is this how dinosaurs died out?" ha ha What funny things have you heard or been asked? Josie