1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The thing you eat after your main meal...

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It all depends....
    Afters/Nachtisch is a useful, catch-all phrase.
    Pudding - is anything that comes with custard. Spotted Dick, Jam Sponge, Treacle Tart, Apple Pie...all the 'good' 'after dinners' come with custard!
    Pudding - also any custardy/blancmangey confection - if I'm more in 'German' mode....which can cause confusion...'What's for afters?'....'.Pudding!'
    Sweet/Sweets - occassionally used, more from childhood
    Dessert is dead posh! It's whay you have at a restaurant.
    'Seconds' is what we call it at school...'Firsts' was your main course.

2. ah yes, cos Pudding in German is something very different to British pudding!
    "Seconds" is what we use for "Nachschlag" (i.e. a second helping of something).

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Pudding is usually hot, dessert usually cold. Well it is to us, never bother unless it's for guests, prefer cheese anyway.

4. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I agree, lapin, it's about whether the dish is served hot or cold. Having said that, my children tell me what they had for ' dessert ' at school and one of them says " I'm having a yogurt for pudding "
    I don't think I'd ever say " afters " but I think we used to when I was at school.

5. Noooooooooooooo, afters can be hot or cold.
    It is what comes "after" [​IMG]
    I don't think my kids have ever used the word dessert (we have that word in German too, it is pronounced the French way - but it is only for posh folk or for restaurants).

6. Desserts are only eaten in restaurants - not posh word
    Pudding encompasses anything sweet, hot or cold, that comes after the main meal.

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Not being a native English speaker, I found the different words very confusing. I call it pudding or "pud", (very occasionally) afters or dessert. Very often my fiance will call it by another name and throw me completely.

8. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Always call it pudding, whether it's a pudding or not.
    I think it's more of a family thing than a regional thing.

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

pudding if it is sweet; cheese otherwise

10. According to son 1, it is a pudding unless it is a yoghurt and then it is known as a disappointment. Apparently yoghurts are breakfast food and snack food but are not to be palmed off as pudding.
    Glad he is not my problem any more!

11. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Sounds like my children!
    Dessert because that is what my grandmother called it.

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Pudding, regardless.

13. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

As a kid my parents called it afters (which I hated because I felt they were dumbing down their language for us). Now, as adults it's either pudding (if it is a sponge cake/custard type thing) or more usually - dessert.

14. Pudding, whether it's hot or cold, with or without custard. When I waitressed at a couple of decent restaurants, it was always the 'sweet menu'.

As a wee girl, it was 'afters', which I always thought was a Suffolk thing, and was either tinned fruit and evaporated milk or nestle sterilised cream.

Everytime I see desserts, I think stressed backwards!

Now have hankering for chocolate Swiss roll, tinned mandarin oranges and nestle cream - childhood 'afters' heaven...

15. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

My mum, nan and grandad always called it a Sweet. We as a family have also used Pudding; Afters and more recently since being grown up; Dessert, which is the word that I tend to use now that I alternate with pudding.

16. Afters if I am offering them now! "Ready f'r'afters?"
    Pud if I am asking what's for?? "Wossfer pud?"
    Common as a Northern puddle o' muck, me!
    Even Nigel S's offerings are referred to as fruity puds - "Jer fancy a fruity pud?"
    Scouse is as scouse speaks, it seems!

17. Well, translate that into NE accent (NOT Goerdie) and that is how we speak.
    So, dead common, us, like, lass.
    But I can do me commas.
    I can do Oxford English, whilst doing TEFL, you know. But I never sound posh. I can't do those posh (southern) vowels.
    My accent is nowadays somewhat diluted, but anyone can recognise that I am from the NE.
    And we call it afters. So there.
    Common. Pah!

18. Doooooooooooooo yooooooooooooooooo mean layk raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaspberries?

Cap or mag (the receptacles you keep your hot drink of tea in)?
    Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.rse

Climber's a Gloster boy and he has an amazing range of posh vowels that I just can't do! How do you make a small red fruit sound like a snob's delight?
    And he has the temerity to laugh at me and mine!

19. Well, thee and me ain't no Eliza Dolittle then, eh?
    I think I sound right received pronunciation, nowadays. Not. I just cannae do it. I mean, it just sounds so silly to my ears. Does anyone really speak that way?
    (cue loads of posters who say they do).

20. Not really a word we use much in our house...
    We are usually too full after our dinner to face pudding, so we tend to have a good time to letter the dinner settle and have it later and call it supper.