1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The TES resource search algorithm is BROKEN and must be fixed

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by Innovativeteachingideas, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Innovativeteachingideas

Innovativeteachingideas New commenter

Finding a high quality, useful resource on TES is a major struggle whether it is free or paid.... It is dominated by low quality freebies and the PAID content is very difficult to find...

I feel this is because there is really no incentive to rate and review products on TES and as such it is mainly build around outdated keyword stuffing strategies....

This is a real disappointment for sellers... If I search for a phonics resource I should be hit with a range of resources clearly separated into paid and free...

The Algorithm should be looking at content description, images, subject areas and reviews with far greater accuracy than it currently is. At the moment finding a paid resource seems to be more good luck than good management....

Can I say that TES has improved greatly in the 12 months I have been an author but it needs to become a PROUD seller of premium teaching resources, not a repository of freebie rubbish. Freebies have their place I get it, but the balance is all wrong at the moment

hasslethehog and Alice K like this.
  2. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

Totally agree with the opening post. When you use the search option, you are often assailed with a mishmash of resources - many are only vaguely relevant to the search terms. I have noticed a drop in sales and I am surprised because I have added and improved my premium resources. My resources are detailed, comprehensive and are very keenly priced so I don't feel that quality or price is the problem, My instinct is that buyers are not able to find relevant quality resources. What do other authors feel?

3. jbyers

jbyers Guest

Hi - James from TES here. We've been hard at work rebuilding every part of the Resources site over the past two years. While search looks better than ever and is lightning fast, we agree that the order of results needs more work. We've been putting a lot of effort into search over the past weeks and months. We hope to have the fruits of this labor ready to show soon, and we'll post here when we've got more details to share.

4. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Totally agree with first two posts. At the moment my sales are about the same level as this time last year. However, at that point I had about 10 resources for sale. I now have over 100 resources for sale. Something doesn't add up here does it? I can only assume either demand is low at this point or that the search is not displaying my relevant resources - I have checked this and it is very hit and miss. Hope TES sort this and the review system out. At the moment the output does not justify the input i.e. hours and hours and hours of my free time!

Alice K likes this.
  5. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Agree with the points above and it's great to hear improvements are being made.

In addition to search improvements there also needs to be better options for sorting and filtering and easier methods of browsing through search results.

I understand it's a big job but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of quality control, particularly for copyrighted materials.

There also seems to have been a lack of promotion that emphasises quality, both in terms of encouraging quality content (it's all been quantity) and in terms of what is featured on splash pages, social media etc. I doubt I'm the only person who sees what has been deemed to be a 'recommended resource' with bemusement - shouldn't these be the very best quality possible?!

Essentially the technical improvements are important but so too is the management of what's available and what's promoted (and how).

6. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

It's good to hear that you're working on improving the search.

Once buyers do find a resource they are interested in, it would be great if there was an eye-catching button on that page for them to follow the seller (so they'll come back again), and also a search box on the same page so they can search for other resources within that seller's shop.

emjcot likes this.
  7. Owen134866

Owen134866 New commenter

I disagree with this to an extent. While I agree there is a lot of poor quality free content, there is also a lot of high quality free content which has become much harder to find as well. There used to be a filter to separate paid/free stuff, but it was removed for reasons unknown. I have also seen my own free resources reposted as paid stuff by other authors, so I think the issue extends both ways!

CurriculumForAutism likes this.