1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The terrible fate of Humpty Dumpty

Discussion in 'English' started by DJMoz2, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Hi,

Has anyone taught this play? Looking for some inspiration on things to do with it. I have a year 7 top group. They really enjoy reading it but I'm trying to dream up some challenging activities associated with it. I thought maybe coming up with their own national anti bullying campaign? Is this silly? (I am a PGCE -er!)

Many thanks xx

2. Hi,

Has anyone taught this play? Looking for some inspiration on things to do with it. I have a year 7 top group. They really enjoy reading it but I'm trying to dream up some challenging activities associated with it. I thought maybe coming up with their own national anti bullying campaign? Is this silly? (I am a PGCE -er!)

Many thanks xx

3. ladysue

ladysue New commenter

I'm in the process of typing up our SOW for this - we only got the books this week! If you leave me an addy I will email it to you, if I ever get it finished!

4. Where did you get your copies of the text from? I tried to get hold of this text and was told it was no longer available. Thanks for your help.

5. Hi,

Have sent you a scheme of work for mixed ability year 7s with resources - hope it helps?

Specs
    x

6. tica

tica New commenter

i hate to jump on the bandwagon but I would love a copy of your scheme on Humpty Dumpty, ladysue, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks in advance

andy_nipper007@hotmail.com

7. We're doing this next term....we've got a SoW for it but it's not on this computer. I'll add it on here when we're back at school tomorrow. :)

8. Tica, I've sent you what I have also - hope it helps?

9. tica

tica New commenter

Many thanks Specs , much appreciated. I would still appreciate your resources Ladysue and Pleugh. Hope I can return the compliment some time.
    Thanks again.

10. I taught it, we did a lot of drama activities including a mock trial of the bullies, and 'rewinds' when pupils have to identify the pivotal moments in the play. You might also find it helpful to do a responsibility discussion - who is ultimately most responsible for Terry's death?

11. I'm about to start teaching this with a low ability Year 8 group. Any resources from any source would be gratefully received. My e mail address is:
    clairewardy@hotmail.com

Look forward to hearing from you.

12. Hello all,

I am an English GTP. I work in a department that has no schemes of work and limited resources. I am about to attempt the Humpty Dumpty play and I am really worried because I have a difficult group of lower ability year 8's.

I have just done a search on google to see if I could get any ideas and I found this link. I'm hoping that you guys are still reading this topic as I too would really appreciate any resources and advice. (Ladysue, Specs and Pleugh - I've noticed you have put together some things.) - nataliemfs@hotmail.com

Please please please reply to my email. Thanks in advice.

Peanut83

13. I too am teaching this text to a very low ability Year 8 group and would really appreciate any help with resources. If you don't mind, could you forward a copy of your SOW.
    Thanks
    sally@dinsdale.orangehome.co.uk

14. Hi,
    Ive sent what I have to those who requested it - feel free to email me with any questions on the resources.
    Enjoy!
    Specs
    x

15. Oh I love this play! Also have a really good copy which gives you lots of activites to look at after each section.

Ladysue, sorry to jump on the bandwagon but could you possible send me a copy of you SOW, I'd love to have a look at it - stephaniehamman@hotmail.com.

Thank you in advance.

16. Jane Austen

Jane Austen New commenter

I would also like SOWs if they are still available. We use this play already but new ideas are always welcome. Our SOW is based on the ideas in the text.

Many thanks in advance.

chrisnelson@bulldoghome.com

17. I have taught this play to year 8s over the last couple or years or so and tend to get them to start with discussions on what is bullying and to name the different types of bullying. Then i would get them to devise their own anti-bullying posters and class contracts.

I then got them into groups to improvise and study individual scenes within the play focusing on the emotions of each character and building characters physical and emotional personas. Warm up games can include games such as piggy in the middle to build a sense of isolation from a group.

Study different types of emotions such as anger, fear, jealousy, sadness etc and get the group to do frozen pictures of these portraying the emotions on their faces and using their physical expressions. Get the spotlight on individuals so that the group can look more closely and indiviudal students facial expressions.

Focus on how these emotions can best be expressed verbally also.

Hot seat characters to get them to express how they feel in role about the death of Terry for example. Some ideas. I have got lots of lesson plans somewhere on this and coincidentally i am preparing a scheme of work on this also for janauary 2011

18. jaggyj
    Thankyou for the ideas your placed above.
    i have my pgce english interview next week and was looking for some ideas on a play for the 20th century and i wanted to chose something with a theme in schools. The bullying theme fits in really well and i pleased i foud your ideas.
    Thanks again.