1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The terrible environment schools have become is attracting only unintelligent people into teaching

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MTraff2, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTraff2

MTraff2 New commenter

Anyone agree that anyone with any intelligence and self respect does not seem to be going into teaching any more.
    Schools are now full of teachers who do not seem very intelligent, question anything however vile and stupid and merely look like boy and girl band members with the brains to match.
    Schools are such laughably horrible places to work now that I doubt anyone with any intelligence would fail to see though this.
    Best out of it everyone. Comments?

2. MTraff2

MTraff2 New commenter

Senior management love above mentioned types of teachers and seem to try to sack everyone else. I guess such teachers are not as questioning and do not see the SLT for the slime balls that they are and schools for the dirt buckets they have become

3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Many posters may be up in arms at your suggestion. However, I do think there is certainly some truth that many who might otherwise have chosen teaching as a career are opting to work elsewhere and the gene pool is decreasing. Why would an able person with the choice opt to take on the workload, abuse and uncertainty these days?

I disagree with your premise that all SLT are slime balls. I do think that, as with good teaching staff, it is more and more difficult to recruit good leaders. Those who might once have considered Headship now recognise that it is akin to the management of a football team and opt instead to keep their heads down, or to go into consultancy or alternatives.

There are former very experienced Heads here who work as tutors on Headship and leadership programmes and who despair at the increasingly younger and inexperienced teachers who are aspiring (and succeeding) to posts to fill the vacuum left by the wiser ones. Inexperienced leadership leads to poor decision-making, low morale, stress and distress for the workforce - and the inevitable loss to the profession of yet more teachers.

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@MTraff2 you appear to share common ground with @DKim1000

A match made in heaven, no doubt.

5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

There's a surprise...

snowyhead likes this.
  6. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

It is very worrying that teenagers are getting less likely to encounter older adults.

7. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@GLsghost it's because you are such a trusting and wonderful person. Whereas I ...

10. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

11. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I have no idea what sort of new graduates coming out of university are deciding to go into teaching so cannot make comment on the intelligence factor.

There is a very real issue when they do try to enter teaching in that many schools are cottoning onto the idea that if they fail teachers in training they can them offer them work at lower pay. Some schools do not always pay the going rate even for the trainee teachers.

Graduates are in a very fortunate position, in the main, they have choice. It will be slow at first but graduates will soon become familiar with the idea that teaching is not to be considered because the entrants will not be treated fairly. When that point is reached there will be a general collapse of recruitment.

At the risk of being seen to be nautically obsessed, I may venture another metaphor.

The Government is rather like the Canadian Fishermen of the 80s. The scientists told them repeatedly that the fish stocks were in danger, but they refused to believe them because their catches were still as big as they had ever been. This continued right up to the point of collapse when all fishing had to stop and the fishermen vented their anger on the seal cubs.

Just like the fishermen, the Government is refusing all evidence from under the surface and simply pointing to the catch of trainee teachers. This does not mean the situation is stable and if the stories we have seen on the forums are just the tip of the iceberg then there will be a rapid decline.

12. paeony

paeony Occasional commenter

Certainly their general knowledge seems poor even compared with ten years ago.

I had two students whining about a new SoW I had written. Not a topic I was massively familiar with but I read, worked and made said scheme.

Upon receiving the scheme, lessons, resources etc proceeded to whinge as they hadn't studied that topic before. I suggested that it was now their job to go away and do some reading. Y'know, learn something about the topic? The looks I got....um, yes. The learning doesn't stop because you graduated.

I also definitely felt that smt saw me as a threat. I used "big words" and could run rings round them intellectually and they most definitely didn't like it.

I felt my intelligence was neither appreciated nor utilised. In fact, it was a positive hindrance. Hence one reason I'm now an ex-teacher.

Yet the trainee with not-even-a-degree in teaching subject is now head of year, two years into their career. And doesn't actually understand in detail what they're teaching to their gcse classes, as is evident by their results.

But her face fits. She is the very epitome of the current crop of unquestioning new teachers.

13. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Me no understand. If a trainee teacher fails ITT or a NQT fails induction then they can no longer teach as a qualified teacher. Or, do you mean that they can fail a teacher but offer them a job as a TA or unqualified teacher?

PS

I have a sneaking suspicion that the OP is a sock.

14. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Yes I agree, but they can teach as an unqualified instructor on less pay.

Plus this isn't always NQT (although this trick is also used),the one I heard about is used on Teach First.

15. AnonL

AnonL New commenter

I can agree with the sentiment here.
    Last year, I taught a group of A Level students on a supply basis in a school fairly locally who had done badly on a paper. Due to my teaching last year every student went up at least two grades.
    In spite of this, it did not seem to matter to the same school SMT, who have offered a young 'look the part' type teacher just out of training lots of supply work and myself none. The level of loyalty and respect for quality seems to be lacking at the expense of 'face fitting'

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The reality Anoni is they are cheap to your rate.so you go to save cash.The children's needs are not important anymore as long as the boxes can be ticked.

17. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Sigh

:confused:

needabreak likes this.
  18. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It's a bit unfair to generalise. Much as I don't like the way some "expensive" highly skilled and experienced teachers have come to be treated, there are good and bad in everything, as such there are sensible, intelligent and capable young teachers. Lets not fall into the blame game again :rolleyes: *like that smilie.

@snowyhead, point taken on those things that keep our tootsies warm; but since others have bitten thought I may as well post an opinion.

snowyhead likes this.
  19. paeony

paeony Occasional commenter

Oh absolutely. I've seen a couple of brilliant students. Interestingly both were late twenties career changers though. Seen a bit of the world. Had a bit of gumption about them.

20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

So how is your new job as a careers advisor going? :D

snowyhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.