1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Tenori-On and maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by emilyisobel, Nov 26, 2011.

1. I saw Bill Bailey playing one of these a few weeks ago and found this online version
    http://lab.andre-michelle.com/tonematrix
    The prime numbers make a rather nice tune, as do various graphs.
    Is there anyone out there who could program one with different sized grids? I'm not clever enough to do so but I thought that it would be a nice distraction to investigate different number patterns with different bases.

2. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

Thanks for this - I just spent 4 hours playing with it! fiddling around with primes, squares, times tables etc. This sequence is the 7*table 2064,16512,1032,8256,66052,4128,33026,2064,16512,1032,8256,66052,4128,33026,2064,16512 Just copy & paste into the flash utility.
    Not sure I really understand the different-sized grid question though. The notes available in the grid are the notes of the D Major Pentatonic scale (I think). Wouldn't a 10x10 grid (say) require some strange scale. Dunno i'm scratching my head now.[​IMG]

3. I guess that it could be done by splitting the octaves into different ratios. I'm not sure if it would work musically or not though.