1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The ten second rule.....?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hazeymazey, Nov 23, 2011.

1. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

Tis ok to eat summat that's been on the floor for less than ten seconds....right?

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

If it's a vegetable,just leave it. If it's cake or chocolate,pick it up.

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I thought it was 3 seconds...

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

As long as you pick the hairs off, yep.

5. zannar

zannar New commenter

No chance here. The dogs beat me everytime!

6. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

Excellent. Yes maybe ten seconds is too long - i'll have to be quicker. Choc or cake on the floor ....not for long in our house!!!

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

No way, read up on your basic food hygiene!! Although saying that, if you're healthy, no probs, but if not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I always thought it was the three second rule - Wiki claims it is the five second rule - all depends what it is that you've dropped I suppose!
    [​IMG] Must say I don't fancy anything whether it's 3, 5 or 10 seconds!

9. 3 second rule for anything hard/dry, 0 second rule for anything wet/squishy!
    I'm on the side of those who say a few germs won't do you any harm.

10. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Yep, definitely a 10 second rule! When yo have kids you can't afford to replace a sweepacket of sweets everytime they drop one - so the 10 second rule comes in. Think we are all too germ conscious these days and that's why there are more and more superbugs about. Mind you, the 10 second rule doesn't count if it's landed in dog muck [​IMG]

11. 3 second rule...or just rinse it under the tap.

12. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Definitely a 10 second rule in my family - when you have kids you can't afford to keep replacing dropped sweets! Think we are far too germ conscious these days and that's why we have superbugs springing out of every orrifice. Mind you, I draw the line at the 10 second rule if the sweet has landed in dog muck...[​IMG]

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

How about if there are invisible traces of dog **** on the ground outside or on your floors inside (transferred in on footwear)?

14. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

What I can't see.....I'm a strong believer in picking the offending sweet up, dusting it down and checking it out (in under 10 secs)....then eating it if all seems well. I'm one of the healthiest people I know and my kids are similarly healthy....must be doing something right.

15. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you see someone with dirty hands handling your food for just a few seconds, would you still eat it?

16. I thought this was going to be about punching people in retaliation[​IMG]

17. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

Definitely 10 seconds for food on the floor, 3 seconds for filling a vacated seat!

18. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Do you watch QI? [​IMG]

19. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

love qi. obviously we employ a bit of discretion. I have a friend who said her 'seconds' began to extend when she had 2 3 and then 4 children!!!

20. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

We don't take outdoor shoes into the house. They stay in the hall (washable floor tiles)