1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Tempest with Year 6

Discussion in 'English' started by katielou83, Aug 3, 2011.

1. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Hi all, I'm trying to decide on my first unit for next term. I often like to start the year with a book study and include lots of the narrative objectives from the fiction genres unit. I find this really motivates the children. I also love using Shakespeare and was thinking of using The Tempest in the hope it may vaguely relate to our topic of natural disasters. Probably quite a weak link but I'm still waiting for the book to arrive! Has anyone taught The Tempest to this year group before and if so do you have any suggestions? Want to gather some ides while waiting for the book. Have taught Macbeth and Midsummer nights dream before so have quite a few general ideas. Or, can anyone such anything better for this unit? Thanks KL

2. Nothing to contribute re teaching The Tempest to Year 6; I've only taught it to Year 9.

If your topic is natural disasters, you could use a text like 'The Volcano Disaster' as a class reader or guided reading text. I'm sure there are other more recent fiction texts that also deal with natural disasters.

Plenty of non-fiction for you to look at, of course!

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Shakespeare didn't write 'books' , he wrote plays. Do you know 'The Tempest'?

4. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Thanks for that Mathamy79, I'll take a look.

Gruoch - I'm actually going on your advice from another post. I work with 10 year olds so I am going for the 'book' rather than the play. Andrew Matthews has done a whole series of adaptations for young children - Shakespeare Stories. I've used Macbeth and MSND and the children really love them.

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I realised that, but you can read any Shakespeare play on the net rather than order it before deciding.
    Whatever age you are working with, the play is a better option than the script. It was written to be performed, not read.