1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Tempest - Whoosh

Discussion in 'English' started by Main83, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Main83

Main83 New commenter

Hi
    Has anyone got/know where to find a Whoosh for The Tempest? I'm a bit desperate and can only find one online (but can't access as it's members only).
    Many thanks

2. They just look like summaries to me. Why is everyone so desperate for them?

3. Main83

Main83 New commenter

I thought something active might be good as they're mostly boys and high energy (though behaviourally very challenging).
    I want to introduce the play and give a plot overview, essentially.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

5. manc

manc New commenter

I have to say that I have no idea what a Whoosh is, but I think it sounds dangerously groovy and sould therefore be avoided instinctively. Is it some sort of (adopts Cliff Richard voice) 'Hey, kids. lighten up. Shakespeare is fun. Let's do the show right here' activity?. In which case - yuk!

6. Lara mfl 05

7. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I think it may be an acronym, but I've not paid close attention.
    Pretty much - though produced by the RSC, so has some perceived credibility.

8. Lara mfl 05

I have to say that the concept of a Whoosh,where the children act out the story whilst it's being narrated by the storyteller and one can 'Whoosh the children back into a circle (to reset the scene , gain control etc) quite an interesting concept.
    Under the auspices of really great Drama teachersI've seen it used to really great effect(with an exceptional pair of Drama teachers). They believed in the concept 100% and had the ability to choose suitable people to come forward (seemingly random but so cleverly designed children never realised) and get the children really involved in the story that it worked.

9. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Can't be doing with that.

Gruoch - trained teacher of drama and ex professional.

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara " children act out the story whilst it's being narrated by the storyteller.
    Can't be doing with that.
    Gruoch - trained teacher of drama and ex professiona<u>l</u>."
    Not implying you're not professional or a great drama teacher gruoch. I think what I was trying to imply is that with commitment and absolute belief in the idea it can work well but it's not for everyone,especially if you're unsure, uncommitted or have a group for whom it's not suitable.

11. If you are inexperienced at managing this kind of activity, don't know the kids that well and they have significant behaviour problems I would be really wary of a drama activity. If you are reading/narrating you can't also be giving the looks and quiet words which will control a class "audience" and your actors might not be as keen to perform or to"whoosh" back to their seats as you might like.