1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Tempest for year 6

Discussion in 'Primary' started by katielou83, Aug 3, 2011.

1. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide on my first unit for next term. I often like to start the year with a book study and include lots of the narrative objectives from the fiction genres unit. I find this really motivates the children.

I also love using Shakespeare and was thinking of using The Tempest in the hope it may vaguely relate to our topic of natural disasters. Probably quite a weak link but I'm still waiting for the book to arrive!

Has anyone taught The Tempest to this year group before and if so do you have any suggestions? Want to gather some ides while waiting for the book. Have taught Macbeth and Midsummer nights dream before so have quite a few general ideas.

Or, can anyone such anything better for this unit? Thanks

KL

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have taught using The Tempest as a unit of work for half a term at the end of year 5. However a magically created storm in order to cause a shipwreck is not really a natural disaster. Twelfth Night on the other hand, does at least start with a storm, caused by natural means. I've also used Twelfth Night for a week or so of work with a year 5/6 class.

3. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

Thanks for your speedy response MM.

I am really clutching at straws with the link - getting to the point of doing anything now!

Would be really keen to see your plans/ideas for both these units if you wouldn't mind sharing? My ad is Katie.wilson83@yahoo.co.uk

Thanks!x

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Twelfth Night was for a week off timetable, so plans don't really fit with LOs and the like. It will take me a while to find anything as it was in a previous school, but I'll look tomorrow for you.

Not sure what I have for The Tempest, definitely won't be formal plans, but I'll see what I can do.

5. katielou83

katielou83 New commenter

That will be great if you do get chance. Thanks