1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The teaching of spelling...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roddywoomble, Sep 15, 2011.

1. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

One thing which worries me with regard to beginning my teaching career (along with many others!) is teaching children to spell effectively. I've been thinking of buying a book to gain some ideas (particularly prevalent as I will have KS1 for this year's placement) on the general teaching of spelling. From my own time in primary school I always remember 'I before E, except after C,' 'big elephants can't always use small exits' etc and think that this is a great way to teach it. Some questions, though:
    - Do you plan which key words you will teach the children or does it just randomly occur during the course of written work? This is mainly how I've taught spelling thus far. E.g. Can somebody spot my mistake? Which rule have I forgotten? I seem to remember seeing a key spelling booklet from the PNS but haven't seen it employed in school.
    - Can anybody recommend a good book for spelling pedeagogy and also phonics which can be read within a few days?
    - Can people please contribute as many spelling tips as possible to use with primary aged kids, such as 'Big Elephants Can't Always Use Small Exits.'
    Thankyou!

2. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

One thing which worries me with regard to beginning my teaching career (along with many others!) is teaching children to spell effectively. I've been thinking of buying a book to gain some ideas (particularly prevalent as I will have KS1 for this year's placement) on the general teaching of spelling. From my own time in primary school I always remember 'I before E, except after C,' 'big elephants can't always use small exits' etc and think that this is a great way to teach it. Some questions, though:
    - Do you plan which key words you will teach the children or does it just randomly occur during the course of written work? This is mainly how I've taught spelling thus far. E.g. Can somebody spot my mistake? Which rule have I forgotten? I seem to remember seeing a key spelling booklet from the PNS but haven't seen it employed in school.
    - Can anybody recommend a good book for spelling pedeagogy and also phonics which can be read within a few days?
    - Can people please contribute as many spelling tips as possible to use with primary aged kids, such as 'Big Elephants Can't Always Use Small Exits.'
    Thankyou!

3. You need to get hold os DfES publications Letters and Sounds and Support for Spellinig, both PDF downloads.
    No it isn't random and we don't tend to teach rules.

4. I send out a CD of reading and spelling resources. They were originally made for dyslexic pupils but would support any scheme. There are numerous card and board games, posters for phonic patterns and mnemonics for sight words etc.
    I can send you a list of of the resources on the CD if you email me.
    email: margaret2612@btinternet.com