1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Teaching Crisis . . .

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by TheoGriff, Mar 10, 2016.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Just been reading it @TheoGriff (In fact finished just seconds before I spotted this post)
    Those of us who began teaching long ago can hardly recognise teaching today compared to the profession we trained for many years ago.

I have always been passionate about education and teaching, but I've found myself advising ex-pupils against teaching as a 'lifetime career'.

I would say to anyone, we desperately need passionate teachers so do train, but have your 'get-out' plan well in advance. If possible do something else first, so you have something to return to and don't wait until you become disillusioned desperately seeking an alternative, What can I do after teaching? (Good though those articles of yours are.:))

Never would I have envisaged saying that. :(

I still believe in children and their potential to make a huge impact on all our futures, but in the short-term I do fear for those in the current system of education. I am glad I have no grandchildren in the system and hopefully by the time I have, we may have returned to some sanity.

install, delnon, opalfeet and 2 others like this.
  3. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

So sad, both the article and the replies..Even sadder that nobody in government is listening or seems to care.

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Sad article but no doubt echoed across the country by others.
    When teachers were valued they were trusted to do the job for which they had been trained.
    OFSTED brought distrust. Previously LEA Inspections had been supportive and advisors employed to help.
    Matters did not improve and publication of league table simply added to the problem.
    Teaching took a huge downward turn with the appointment of Wilshaw.
    Wilshaw stating that satisfactory was no longer to be used and now RI face huge power to HT's.
    Gove at about the same time introduced fast track dismissal.
    Now it is excessive monitoring of everything.
    Teaching used to be fun and enjoyable.
    The curriculum allowed for exciting collaborations with different subject areas.
    Under a Creative Partnerships program I visited Wilshaw at his Academy. He actually stated he wanted his staff to be in fear of him and quake when he entered each classroom. He had no empathy at all.
    Thank god I no longer teach and managed to somehow survive enough years to get a decent pension.

5. smilesgomiles

smilesgomiles New commenter

It is spot on.

delnon and wanet like this.
  6. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Sad, true and troubling that the govt ignore this.

delnon, Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I posted in another thread about the very same article. Education today is in the doldrums and it is ina downward spiral. When is someone in charge going to wake up and realise what is happening. I only have two years left to go before I escape - im counting the days.

8. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Wilshaw and Gove have damaged a generation of teachers and pupils. Shame on them. We are in the new dark age of education.

delnon, eljefeb90, JRiley1 and 4 others like this.
  9. opalfeet

opalfeet Occasional commenter

I wouldn't advise they even do this now Lara. I would tell anyone NOT to even bother. And like you, I was happy to advise studentsthat teaching, although hard work, was an enjoyable and worthwhile career. It's such a sad state of affairs, but the get out plan ain't so easy. Still thinking up mine! Though I do still love teaching- when I'm in the classroom and no one is bothering me.

10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I know of a (Victorian) primary school with huge problems, where most of the teachers are supply (including the head) and the longest serving teacher has been there for less than a year! Unbelievable but sadly completely true. All due to stress and ... .

delnon, wanet and les25paul like this.
  11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I can easily believe that.

I know of a secondary school where for an entire year the Maths faculty was supply. There was no HoD and the more regular supply teachers were setting work for the fresh meat (sorry I mean new supply teachers).

Most of the other faculties were short staffed and patched up with regular supply teachers.

delnon likes this.
  12. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

I've got 10 - I don't think I can last that long

13. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Actually the government do care about the use of supply staff........they care about how much money it costs and not why so many are needed.

delnon, RedQuilt and cazzmusic1 like this.
  14. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

The teaching crisis has been deliberate and designed to create chaos.
    So who benefits from the turbulence in curriculum changes and the churn of teaching staff-

1. Academies - Money, money, money, It's a rich man's game
    2. Free Schools - Money? Kudos? Teach whatever they want?
    3. Pensions - teacher's don't stay in education for long so reduced pensions costs
    4. Head Teachers - Some not all don't think they have shown commitment to high standards until unless one teacher has been placed on informal capability or resigned every academic year
    3. SLT - They feel they have to monitor and find things wanting to show they have high expectations, supporting a teacher doesn't come into it
    4. Long term teachers- they leave, so reducing costs to pension later, some supply as they don't have same
    5. NQT's - they leave as they are wrung out
    6. Children- are they really the focus of this process at all? Or are they just used as leverage?

SSS

install, delnon, Anonymity and 4 others like this.
  15. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Only one? That hardly shows commitment to high standards. More like ten!

delnon and Cooperuk like this.
  16. slingshotsally

So I am wondering what's next?

Wilshaw resigning, NHS is currently under funded to such an extent that it is bankrupt and ripe for asset stripping (sold off to highest bidder), NEXT education-

What does the future of education in England look like?

1. Logan's run- schools where class teachers are under 30 and only SLT are in their 40's.
    2. Hedge row Schools (currently known as Home Schooling) - where groups of disenfranchised teachers who actually know how to teach consistently well, decide that they will exchange skills to teach each other's children. The go to each other's homes or hire a small venue and teach each other's children.

Perhaps other's can add their visions of a Brave New World in education?

SSS

delnon, lanokia and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  17. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

I hate this, it's completely miserable. Teaching has become so depressing. When I know that my husband is feeling down (he's HoD English so that's pretty often) I remove his ipad and phone from the bedroom so that he can't switch on in the morning and start reading all about how miserable his job is - social media is plastered with articles about how depressing teaching is, or the misery of junior doctors, or nurses, or social workers or any other public servant (ha! slave?). I'd love for him to see something positive sometimes - even false positivity would help him to get through the day and come home feeling a bit less unhappy. Too sad.

18. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

2 sounds like an interesting option. It does kinda make me imagine that it also doubles as a teacher/teaching preservation sanctuary where the art of teaching can be maintained as mainstream education is devastated.....then when education is on the brink of extinction we can be releasted back into the wild to restore things. Kinda like bringing balance to the force, but without the flipping out and taking out our own....

19. slingshotsally

Reminded me of the Underground Railroad for teacher's though? Some teachers, somewhere are probably already doing this....
    SSS

20. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Hmmm......I was also imagining it being part of a dystopian future where state education was legally the only form of education allowed, and it being taught to an insane level of tick box teaching to the test style data driven frenzy. This may or may not including some form of re-written history where the orthodox has been that this style of teaching is acknowledged as the best etc. Teachers and effective teaching is then an illegal underground that operate in secret in some sort of teaching cell network of guerrilla freedom fighters.......

65536gina and drek like this.