1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Teacher Q&A - please try it out

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mikeshaw, Jul 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Seeking advice teaching part time in a core subject -secondary. All help, gratefully received.

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well I would post your question in the secondary forum and again in the workplace dilemmas forum. That is if you want it answered. If you don't want an answer then post it in the Q&A forum.

calamansi likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Lead commenter Forum guide

Automatic moderation strikes again @mikeshaw

I assume automatic anyway. I can't think of any reason why a human moderator would moderate a post when the sole content was a link to another thread on Teachers Q&A!

upload_2017-11-7_16-37-23.png

4. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

I'd like to think that most of the people who add to a discussion here would feel that what they have to say is worthwhile for others to read. I'd hate to think that someone judged their comments and then put them into order from good to bad, and perhaps excellent. It is the same with the resources that people give freely or otherwise: They do not need to be judged and offered to others in order of what someone else judges them. People have worked hard to provide them. The people who come on here are adults with, I am sure, sense and wisdom in their heads.

5. Rott Weiler

Any thoughts @mikeshaw @TES_Rosaline ?

6. Rott Weiler

7. Rott Weiler

Is anybody there at TES Towers @mikeshaw @TES_Rosaline ? Just asking as no-one is responding to my questions about the Teacher Q&A moderation [Nov 7th, 11th, 21st].

I've noticed something else about the post I linked yesterday. There is only one response to it. From me, but it was moderated for some reason. It appears that because my response was moderated it isn't recognised as a reply so when the OP looks at the Q&A Forum they see this:

upload_2017-11-22_10-17-9.png

So unless the OP opens their post to double-check - and why should they when the forum says no replies - they won't know I have responded.

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Your answer is not visible to me @Rott Weiler

upload_2017-11-22_11-19-22.png

9. marlin

10. marlin

11. Rott Weiler

I know you can't @marlin, I just logged out and went to the threads as a guest and my posts don't show. So seems that on the Teacher Q&A if your post is moderated you can still see it but no-one else can. (Unlike on main Forums where no-one sees the post until approved by moderators, not even person who posted it).

Sadly no-one at TES Towers seems very interested in it, no-one has replied to my tags, so the OPs on these two threads will just have to forego my pearls of wisdom ;)

https://www.tes.com/answers/des-number-mislaid-how-can-i-retrieve-it-520

https://www.tes.com/answers/ppa-2-h...-will-not-get-any-ppa-time-this-week-fair-580

@mikeshaw @cliftonc @TES_Rosaline

12. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Most of the questions are getting little feedback, not sure that this has worked.

13. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @Rott Weiler and @marlin, apologies for the delay in responding to your posts. Thank you for flagging up these issues. I'll flag up them to the relevant team. Sorry for any inconvenience caused. Please bear with us while we try to look into/resolve the issues you have raised.

Rott Weiler and marlin like this.
  14. mikeshaw

mikeshaw Administrator Staff Member

HI @Rott Weiler and @marlin - additional apologies from me on this. It's slightly baffling as none of us have pressed the moderate button so we're investigating if something's up with the spam filters. (My excuse for missing the messages is I've been off on leave for the last three weeks...)

15. Rott Weiler

If it's any help @mikeshaw the auto-moderation on the post that has a lot of text in it kicked in when I'd done several edits in quick succession - ie posted it, noticed a typo and corrected, then immediately edited it again to add another sentence. Possibly the auto-moderation doesn't like too many edits close together?

But that didn't apply to my post that was just a link to another Teacher Q&A post. I just pasted it in and it immediately auto-moderated. Doesn't seem to like a post consisting solely of a link.

16. mikeshaw

mikeshaw Administrator Staff Member

@Rott Weiler Very interesting - that may help the team get to the root of the issue.

17. Rott Weiler

@mikeshaw @TES_Rosaline

I tested my theory that repeated edits triggers auto-moderation.

It does.

I 'forced' this thread to put me into moderation by doing an 'Edit' + 'Save changes' three times in quick succession. On the third 'Save Changes' it immediately moderated me (even though I hadn't actually made any changes to my original post).

https://www.tes.com/answers/applying-as-a-couple-602

If you could un-moderate this thread so that OP can see my advice that would be appreciated :)

18. Rott Weiler

marlin likes this.
  19. Rott Weiler

@mikeshaw @TES_Rosaline And to confirm it I posted another response to the thread, posting exactly the same link, but this time typing "Try this" before the link. That didn't moderate me. It must be posting a link with no other text that auto-moderates, irrespective of what the link is.

20. marlin

I can see this reply @Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler likes this.