1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The sudden runner.... why??

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by SineField, Nov 29, 2018.

1. 24hours

24hours New commenter

Wow,

That is one of the reasons we. As a family we’re pur off the Middle East as a location.

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I wouldn’t blame the ME so exclusively. Every international school I’ve been at had its runners. That’s six schools, six countries, Asia, ME, Europe and Latin America. Arguably the school that least deserved its runners was in the ME.

Teachallover likes this.
  3. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Many schools are unsupportive and vindictive.

4. SineField

SineField New commenter

So all in all it seems that the 'runners' are generally those who are prepared to be potentially blacklisted on the international circuit (as maybe they are content to just work in the UK) and who are either going to be creative on their CV or be honest and say they were miserable/family probs and came home early?

A friend of mine who taught abroad a while ago did a runner, but was just honest about her experience on her CV and said it didn't hold her back in the UK when she returned. At the time I thought it strange, but then as others have mentioned CV creativity can backfire!!!

5. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

Great. Thanks for this.

6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

It also depends if you had a valid legal contract in the first place. You can not run from a job if you have not been legally employed under the law. Leaving a school for working on a tourist visa is not doing a runner.

Where you told a bunch of lies at the interview and there has been a material change in your terms of employment, again this is not a running.

The quickest runner I know was a teacher going to work in Kuwait for the Blonde Bombshell. After her first look at the school accommodation walk straight back out into a taxi to the next available flight out the country, a 4 hour stay!

7. Northernsole

Northernsole Occasional commenter

Fairly common in Spain. Some schools are known to withhold pay from staff after they have told SLT that they are leaving. The sensible route to take is pack up and leave after payday.