1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The strike!

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by valed, Jun 25, 2011.

1. So, who is staying out next Thursday?
    I would be interested to know whether Maths chaps [and chappesses, of course] are more or less inclined to strike than, say, English or History teachers.
    I'll be staying home in sympathy, of course.

2. My Association has not balloted for strike action

Were I in a union that had the mandate ... I would stay at home

3. I am being forced to stay at home because of my kids so I am doing a 2 hour session Tuesday and Wednesday night after school for kids who will miss learning time.
    I am not in favour of the action

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Same here.
    Depending on various solicitors removing their fingers from various parts of their anatomy we might end up moving house that day. We'll see [​IMG]

5. I did not vote to strike, joined ATL because they are (were!) the non-striking union.
    But I believe in supporting the people who support you. And also in employing someone to do a job and then not obstructing them in doing that job. So I'm striking.
    I guessed the school would shut and I felt bad for the ones who were striking being the ones to effect the closure (which will be enjoyed by the non-striking majority who score a day of catching up on admin tasks in their jeans) and being the only ones to pay for it by losing the day's pay. So I am striking.
    In my dept there are 13 staff. As far as I know 4 are striking. Of those who are not, 2 are ATL for sure that I know about.

6. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

No strike here.
    If we want to try and swing social opinion our way, I don't see how refusing to teach kids, thereby winding up half the country's population (parents), is going to do us any favours. Predict a whole load of negative media soundbites citing lazy teachers, holidays too long, always moaning about a job which finishes at 3pm each day, etc. etc...
    I also object to ATL telling me I should support their strike irrespective of how I voted.

7. I am on strike. I believe that if your union calls you out, you're out. I also believe the reasons for strike action are sound, but perhaps we wouldn't need to go so far if we only had one teaching union.

8. The withdrawal of labour is meant to cause problems

The concept of Union suggests a united front ... whilst I sympathise with those that joined the ATL believing it to be a non-striking organisation ... I am of the opinion that a decision not to follow the mandate should also be a decision to leave that organisation

9. googolplex

In that respect, we both agree...

10. This is something that should happen and should have happened years ago. Whether you think there should be a strike or not, the fact that there is disjointed action makes us teachers look rather silly.

11. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

How do we swing social opinion our way while at the same time not just accepting the government's proposals to completely decimate the pension I can expect to receive?
    So when are you leaving ATL then?
    When the NUT voted to strike a few years ago I voted no as I thought there was no justifiable basis for action. The day the result was announced I left NUT and joined ATL. This time round I am in no doubt that striking is the right thing to do so I voted yes and will be joining the strike on Thursday.

12. I shall be mostly lazing in bed and eating cake and catching up on watching a few DVDs on Thursday. I just hope Andy Misery is out of Wimbledon by then.

cyol,ba, striking even though he isn't in a striking union :)

13. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

I'm not striking because I'm not in NUT/ATL. I would be if my union had decided to take action at this point. I think the reason for the strike is justified.
    I do wonder how public opinion will go and that concerns me a bit, the point I will keep making to people is that public sector workers pension is part of their contract. When private sector employees earn mega bucks in the good times they don't get upset about public sectors lower pay! Over a career pay and pensions need to be viewed in their entirety.

14. LiamD

LiamD Occasional commenter

Just for a giggle I decided to check what the good folk on the Daily Telegraph forums thought about teacher's pensions. Seems your concerns re. public opinion may be justified LancsHOD.
    This was my favourite post.
    What's the refund I get on my taxes to contribute to the childminders I have to employ to cover the workshy having a skive up?
    Isn't it nice to feel valued? [​IMG]

15. googolplex

That's really my point. The strike is going to make us look like real plonkers if public opinion sways against us. Better to unite and negotiate. Strike in more subtle ways - withdrawal of cooperation with things like SATs, etc. Taking a day off work will just make things worse. And, yes. I will leave ATL, when my year's subscription is due. Up to then, they wouldn't refund me, so why should I leave - there are other benefits besides being ordered to have a day off.

16. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

Have you asked if they'll refund?
    "Being ordered" is a rather over the top phrase - none of the advice has been this strong. In fact the phrase "no one can compel you to take strike action" is used in their FAQ about the strike action.

17. googolplex

Yes. They said "no".
    It's only a few months now, so it doesn't really matter... As far as I'm concerned, I'm union free...unless someone takes a swipe at the car and that has never happened in nearly 25 years, so why start now...!? Point of fact, just think of the amount I could have saved over the years by being union free... Never used one in my life.[​IMG]

18. Of course it is a free choice to not be in a union. I also have never used one in my life in terms of actually needing them to step in for me personally over a particular issue. I do though think that my subsciptions have been worthwhile in so far as I will have benefitted from their negotiating powers in the past. Thinking of the UPS and much further back to Clegg. Not for one moment suggesting there are not things they could have done better (like becoming a single voice) but overall I see membership as important.

19. googolplex

striking isn't negotiating.
    As educated professionals, if we aren't capable of presenting a reasoned argument during talks, then the profession deserves the condemnation it will receive for withdrawing its labour, thus alienating itself from the vast majority of the population.
    Talking of which, I don't know if anyone heard Boustead on BBCR4's "any questions" this last week. Hopeless. If that's all we can muster to present our case, we're doomed.

20. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The complication for some ATL members is that they joined for the legal protection offered rather than because they wanted to be in a trade union. Leaving is not really an option as joining NASUWT probably only postpones the time when they wil be called to go on strike. If there were a union that really never strikes, I would probably join it.
    I am still torn about Thursday. I am aready behind with some classes, and leaving them again will probably ensure that they are behind their friends when they are in new classes at the start of next year. There is also a club I supervise for students form a special school. On the other hand, I also don't want to let down my colleagues. So, I am forced to let somebody down, but who?