1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The stress of Sats gives children nightmares

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 9, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘Children are having nightmares about the Sats tests, a union reported today.

A survey of 1,200 primary teachers, carried out in June and July, by the NEU teaching union found that nine out of 10 primary school teachers felt Sats were detrimental to children’s wellbeing.

“Pupils at our school have cried, had nightmares and have changed in behaviour due to the pressure on them – and we do our best to shield them from it and not make a huge issue out of the tests,” one respondent to the survey said.

Another said that some children were so anxious they were sick: “We see children in highly anxious states, sometimes vomiting because of pressure. More children are displaying signs of poor mental health and we do not put pressure on our children.”’

What are your views on this issue? How did your pupils cope with the tests in May and how do you think they have coped waiting for the results? How have you and your colleagues felt about the tests this year ? Is it different to the last two years?

https://www.tes.com/news/stress-sats-gives-children-nightmares

2. nervousned

nervousned Established commenter

Cue a bunch of people informing us that there are no such thing as the Sats.

The tests aren't stressing the children, adults are, be it parents, teachers, SLT, etc, by placing more importance on the tests than they truly deserve.

Supercali and LunaBlue123 like this.
  3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

I was lucky teaching ages ago because I could tell the children I taught the truth about NCTs - and I spent just a few hours on test training, and they did OK, without thinking it would matter if they didn't.

Truth: They are not public exams. No certificates, no qualifications, no pass or fail.

Truth: They are not even Sats. Sats were abolished in 1992, more's the pity. (Real Sats weren't test papers, of course.)

Truth: They will be no more important for them than any other class test.

Could any teacher now spare children from unnecessary anxiety and tell them truthfully that they will not be doing Sats? It is the name that is scary now - together with going on about them all the time.

4. chowatson

chowatson New commenter

You mean, cue Markuss, right? Because I've never seen anyone else rail so hard against calling them SATs. It's actually remarkable that he's kept it up so long and on every SATs post!

5. Hkhokhar18

Hkhokhar18 New commenter

children should be given comfort. before any exams and supporting from LSA