1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The strangest seating arrangements you've come across

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Bashkemesuesi, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Bashkemesuesi

Bashkemesuesi New commenter

Ostensibly, this thread only really applies to those who travel to tutor, although I suppose indirectly it also poses the question to the stayers at home as to how comfortable you make your students.

So let me cut straight to the chase: a couple of years ago I had a Y12 lad, who worked at a small desk on the far end of the sofa in the living room. He just had one chair for himself. Now guess where the mum sat me:

On the edge of the sofa.

Not just the first time - every time (and there were several - at least it wasn't one of those instant-dropout miscreant cases).

In your craziest dreams, would any of you even think of parking a student, or any guest, on a sofa's edge and expect them to sit there for an hour while giving quality tuition or other serious work?

2. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

I tutor one student sitting on a sofa, have done for 2 years, we sit cross legged or curled up, i have a miniwhiteboard i write on, she leans on a book to write on her worksheets or sometimes we slip down onto the floor and write on the coffee table. It must have worked as she just got 9-9 in combined science

rehaank, suzyshepster and langteacher like this.
  3. Bashkemesuesi

Tsarina, it's all too obvious that you haven't understood my OP. When I said edge, I meant the arm of the sofa, like of an armchair. It's not one of those sofas with no arms. And it definitely isn't where anyone is meant to sit, in fact we tell children off for sitting like that. Now do you see how absurd it was?

4. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

I often share a working space with tutee plus pet (mostly at my encouragement); I recently had a session with a little girl with pet chicken perched on her lap...

tsarina likes this.
  5. tsarina

tsarina Occasional commenter

@Bashkemesuesi ok, yes that is absurd, why didn't you just tell them in the first session that you needed to sit at a desk with the student? or that you could both sit on the sofa? The parents of the students i teach generally ask if the seating arrangements are ok, if i need anything etc. but it sounds like you don't have that sort of relationship with them.

6. Bashkemesuesi

I *was* at the desk, just sitting in a strange place. At least it was properly padded, not bare wood or angled metal. I also did say this was a couple of years ago, so obviously not a matter of a present relationship. Also this happened the first time so relationships were irrelevant. The other thing though is that his parents were divorced and i was asked to go alternatingly to each house as he swapped weekends with them. His dad's house posed no such oddity.

7. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

You need to ask the parent to sort out some sort of table or desk. Even an ironing board would be better.

8. Bashkemesuesi

Like I said, this was a couple of years ago, long since finished.

The other strange case I recall was when I was at a vicarage, and instead of taking me to the dining room like most sensible parents, the vicar led me into his own large study (with a whole wall chock full of shelves of books), and set me with his lad at his desk, which only had room for one chair to pull up to it so that one's legs could be under the table - so I had to sit some distance away from it, and not properly alongside the boy. Apart from the desk chair, the others were all comfy sofa types and not really appropriate for the desk arrangement either.

9. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

That would require him to actually talk to the parents. He seems to prefer sending long emails to them after each session.

langteacher, sebedina and gainly like this.
  10. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Lol.

11. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I would have just said I need a work space.
    It's that simple

12. Bashkemesuesi

I'm obviously much too soft on them. If I put them all through Adam's kind of shopping list before even meeting, that would send the half-hearted packing for sure :p

And thanks for the joke, but just to reiterate, most of the time when they flunk out without honour I just let them go without a word and good riddance.

13. decj

decj New commenter

I've taught with a cocker spaniel sitting on the table. The client did doggie day care, so pooches were everywhere!

Kateray1 likes this.
  14. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

Oh that’s awful! I think I would change location go to a coffee shop or library.

I have been lucky so far although I do have to fight for space on a table in one home!

I start a new student this week so we will see what space is like there.