1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Story Teller - Desperate Plea

Discussion in 'Primary' started by happyhopey, Jan 22, 2011.

1. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

Does anyone remember Jim Henson's 'The Story Teller' from the 80's? It is now out of print but it is perfect for bot speaking and listening activities and writing activities. If anyone has it on DVD I would really appreciate a copy as I cannot get it anywhere at a reasonable price.

Hoping someone out there has it

Hopey

2. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

Does anyone remember Jim Henson's 'The Story Teller' from the 80's? It is now out of print but it is perfect for bot speaking and listening activities and writing activities. If anyone has it on DVD I would really appreciate a copy as I cannot get it anywhere at a reasonable price.

Hoping someone out there has it

Hopey

3. Try you youtube - I am sure I have seen clips on there.

4. *Too many 'you's!

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

6. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

thank you, Dont think we have anything to pay it on any more which is a shame

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Do you know someone who has a machine that will transfer VHS to DVD? Or perhaps there's an old video machine at the back of the stock cupboard!

8. They are all on you tube, we just used them for our literacy unit x

9. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

fantastic, thank you, They are great for literacy. Hope you had
    good results with them

10. If you have a region free DVD player, you can get the entire collection on Play for less than £15.

http://www.play.com/DVD/Region_1/4-/923836/Jim-Henson-the-Storyteller-The-Definitive-Collection/Product.html

11. In the space of half a day it went up to £79.99???

12. Hi,
    I grew up watching the storyteller, I absolutely LOVE it! I've been thinking of using episodes from the series
    with some of my students.
    You said that you have used it recently as part of a literacy programme, in which ways did you exploit the material to help to develop literacy? I'm keen to hear your ideas.

Thanks in advance

DeChango

13. happyhopey

happyhopey New commenter

I used it as a way of bigging up the role of oral story telling, especially the introduction. I then set up a story telling area, provided a story telling cape and built in story telling as a guided reading session. The story teller stories are also good when using the Pie Corbett materials as it gives the children a bank of stories they can re tell and use as a model for writing. Good luck, let me know if you have any more ideas