1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Story of Lot suitable for KS3?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by TrevelyanInq, Aug 29, 2019.

1. TrevelyanInq

TrevelyanInq New commenter

Discovered and downloaded an excellent bundle of resources which will help me so much with my planning this year. RE (which we are calling Philosophy and Ethics) is a new subject for me to teach and I am working with Year 8 and Year 9 classes.
    In the Christianity and The Bible DL, it has half the class read the story about Jesus feeding the 5000 and the other half read the story of Lot in order to compare and contrast the messages within the Bible.
    I am concerned that reading about sex, rape and incest may be too much for Year 8s and Year 9s. Have any of you done this story with these year groups and if so, how did it go? Would you recommend looking at another story from the Old Testament instead?
    Thank you very much in advance for your help.

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

We got Lot etc in primary-and it wasn't a Church school! One great RS teacher I knew in the 90s used the story of S/G to highlight discrimation against gay people/to show sexism. She was very ahead of her time in challenging prejudice.

3. jerseyperson

jerseyperson New commenter

Personally, I would steer clear of that! If the contrast is God's lack of kindness/cruelty you can look at the request that Abraham sacrifice his son, or killing all the first borns in the 10th plague. We also look at the fact God won't let Jonah say no to being a prophet.

4. Standards

Standards New commenter

Years ago used the BBC Bible in Animation episode on Abraham with Year 8 for some tasks. Inevitable questions about the story. Used to mention that what they had watched was a softened version of the bible account and that it would be a very, very bad idea to read Genesis 19.

Rarely used pens and planners seemed to emerge as if by magic.

Glad to be retired now...