1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The story of China

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Feb 4, 2016.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have been watching thins and have been absolutely fascinated by the series.
    Besides giving an over view of the times and dynasties of China...I so love looking at the people and life.
    I so wish there would be more of such programmes.....we hardly know what goes on in the world other than the diluted and biased versions we get through the media.if at all.

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I've yet to see it though I really want to. I think you might enjoy the 'Empress Dowager Cixi' by Jung Chang. It's a really good book. If you are enjoying watching the China series you'll enjoy this.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I agree... there does seem to be a lack of intelligent material on the TV... and yes I know BBC4 exists.

Last night I sat and watched 'Cosmos' by Carl Sagan on DVD ... a gift from my brother... two episodes and I felt way more cleva than I had at da begnin.

4. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

I have them recorded, and I look forward to watching them. I would really like to spend some time exploring China at some point. It really is a fascinating place, with such a compelling history. I'd also highly recommend 'Wild China' - it's another superb BBC documentary series.

5. Painted_Bird

Painted_Bird Senior commenter

So is her book 'Mao'. Very harrowing.