1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The store that shall not be named

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by dozymare1957, May 27, 2012.

1. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Well,I've been and gone and done it!
    I've just spent £60 on vital items for my kitchen - a hand held whisk (it's like two balloon whisks joined together with a handle that you turn); two sets of poach pods (yellow); a marble pestle and mortar (reduced from £34.99 to 19.99 so that was a must); a grapefruit shaped thingy to store half a grapefruit in (reduced to 99p - now I just have to start eating grapefruit); a pair of orange peelers (you used to get these free from Avon)(ditto the grapefruit); two rubber jar grippers (someone recommended these on the things you can't live without thread) and some jubilee cake cases (?).
    Oh yes, the pineapple cutter as well. That is what I went in for.
    It was great. I was given a cake and a biscuit to sample and also a 10% discount because I spent over £30.
    I was tempted by the mandolin (I now know it's not just a musical instrument) but it was nearly £50 and that seemed a tad excessive just to slice a few spuds. It's my birthday in August so I'll get myself that for my birthday.

2. coupedeville

coupedeville New commenter

I love that shop. Will be calling in over the summer to buy a new Remoska, ( damaged the old one when the lid dropped from a height).

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/3/in-the-kitchen-kitchen-electricals-Remoska/c03c02c01.r16.1

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Mum used to love her Remoska!....she is now devoted to her Halogen Oven.
    I'm slowly but surely building up a new list for them to send me...I have to buy enough to get the free postage so I'll have to force myself to add a few more items to my list!

4. coupedeville

coupedeville New commenter

I love the sturdiness of the Remoska given that I lug it miles around the world, ( that kind of being what they were invented for.)
    The old one, ( purchased by my mother in law and not liked) still works with it's warped lid, just not as effectively.
    It really acts as a kitchen extension if I have a lot going on.

5. dozymare1957

The pineapple cutter is brilliant. I would definitely recommend it.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Have you got the mango thingie yet? lol!!

7. dozymare1957

No, but I don't like mango

8. I don't either! I used to but when shipping my belongings some stuff had to stay behind...

9. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Me neither, postage is not cheap from there and I can find similar stuff cheaper on a national website.

10. Me neither... I lost everything in a house fire not long ago... so I am enjoying looking at all of this stuff... planning what I will try and get one day...

[​IMG]

11. ljr

ljr New commenter

Ooohh....I feel 'an order' coming on - my daughter is going shopping today where they have a branch of that shop. I am looking after her dog, so it would be fair to ask her to get me one or two (or more) bits. I love the pineapple & the mango gadgets, they gets used all the time as we start the day with fresh fruit. I went on a school trip on Monday & my nearly green banana that I started the day with had turned from yellow to black to liquid by lunch time, so I think I need a banana holder. I love my Remoska and use it in my caravan - the van doesn't have an oven & so I can still bake cakes, roast dinners & even Yorkshire puddings when we go away. By the way, my birthday is August as well.

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

My most recent purchase from 'The Store' is this:
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15870/Edgeware-Zester
    It is awesome!
    I make a yummy Key Lime pie that needs the zest of 8 limes. Anyone who's tried to zest a lime on a regular grater will know two facts:
    1. I'ts bloody hard work and
    2. Grated knuckle and blood do not add anything to a dish!
    This zester is effective and a pleasure to use, making short work of any citrus fruit. It also has a collecting thingy to trap all the zest until you've finished.
    Fandabydozy! [​IMG]

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Belle---it's things like that, that make me wish this store had been around when I was young! (Younger...I meant 'younger'....I am still young....50 is still young!)
    I made Lemon Chiffon at school (Girls' Grammar School - we were taught 'Cookery' but never allowed to take it as an O-Level.....and how 'useful' is a Lemon Chiffon?!!! ...Surely better to teach us to feed a family!).....my Chiffon had more skin and blood than zest and juice!

14. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Thanks, Belle. Have just ordered this. Trying to zest anything on a regular grater means that its a real pain to clean afterwards and you never get all of the zest into what you're trying to cook! Arrgghh!
    Beth, what's a Lemon Chiffon?!

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

You won't regret it EG. It's simply brilliant! Also it just grates the zest, no pith and no knuckes!

16. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Lemon Chiffon is a sort of moussey thing.
    As I recall we mixed egg yolks with lemon juice and zest (in my case skin and blood too!) and I think maybe butter too. Then we whisked up egg whites and sugar and folded it into the lemon mix.
    You could serve it as it was (raw yolks! Where was Health & Safety!) or I think you could make a Lemon Chiffon Pie.
    For some reason I was allowed to do Cookery even though Sports and Chemistry were off my timetable. I'm sure Cookery is equally as dangerous as Chemistry!
    I think they had this idea that we were all going to be turned into accomplished young ladies! Some hope with me!
    Actually, my first Grammar School didn't even want to teach any girl Chemistry! Or Physics. We were 'encouraged' to go for languages. By the time we eventually moved to a place where the schools allowed girls to study science I'd missed too much and then had the Dyspraxia confirmed and all practical science was deemed too dangerous (but not Cookery...knives, graters, lighting a gas stove, carrying hot pans....go ahead beth!)......it was a shame really as I was a frustrated scientist at heart and had reams of being a Forensic Scientist or a Coroner. ....Maybe it wouldn't have worked out, but I'd have loved to have had my chance!

17. egyptgirl

You don't want to see my hands when I've been zesting! [​IMG]

18. egyptgirl

Perhaps not accomplished by their standards but from what I can tell, Beth, you are an accomplished lady.

19. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Awwww thanks!
    I like to think my old house-tutor would, if she could see me today, be pleasantly surprised!... I could cook before attending those stupid lessons - and they only taught airy-fairy frou-frou crap anyway, not real food!....and I can do rather charming embroidery (they tried to teach us sewing by forcing us to make stoopid frilly aprons and little sleeveless frocks with poncy flounces!)maybe I can claim extra 'accomplishment' points for my lace-making?....I never mastered the art of 'graceful' walking. Even today I just stumble my way around...and when I met royalty (as a Guide) I managed a half bob instead of a curtsey and couldn't get up again!

20. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I have a slightly unripe pineapple watitng-by the time the postie arrives it should be perfect for eating..drool drool.............