1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Stampede Begins

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivor Novello, Jun 21, 2016.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

They checked our passport on the French side (on a coach before going on the eurostar train) if the agreement ends, can"t the Brits just send the ferries back without letting them dock or refuse to let them board?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

And yet all over the world people enforce borders...
    Besides, they won't want to come here if we Brexit. After all, they're only after the amazing benefits the EU makes us give them.

Burndenpark likes this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

There aren't any French ferries. Seafrance went a year or two ago.

Do keep up, old chap.

4. sabrinakat

I think my stance on the Remain side is based on the status quo....

5. FrankWolley

Be pretty unpopular with all the British citizens (Not to mention lorry drivers) on board. They'd probably riot as well...

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I think you're right
    It is. :)

7. FrankWolley

You don't need to read much news to see that:

a) Borders are often pretty controversial places, with violence and tense situations; and
    b) They are often pretty porous...

Perhaps we should build a wall just as Trump intends to? :D

NB If the UK leaves what do you suggest should be done about the border between the Irish Republic and Northern Ireland? Another wall?

8. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

Quite right, after Brexit we should cut off Europe by not letting them come here.
    ;)

burajda and sabrinakat like this.
  9. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If pretty much everyone in industry, economics, science, the arts etc supports remain, they don't have to. All they have to do is quote.

sabrinakat likes this.
  10. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

"Fog in Channel - Continent Isolated"

We just need a big smoke machine.

11. Didactylos4

I do wish you'd tell the Remain campaign that.
    They don't seem to reading from the same hymn-book :D

12. Scintillant

I think you know it really,

13. sabrinakat

Yes, need to keep them out (unless the UK cuts VAT again, then the south will be coming up to stock up)...notice I didn't say which side needs protection ;)

14. Didactylos4

There's a lot of options there depending on how the Irish respond if a Brexit happens.
    They and we have a (recent) history of quite successful negotiations over some very tricky matters.
    I have no doubt that we can manage such a relatively simple matter

15. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

If the report is true, this would not surprise me. Europe is perceived by many of these migrants to be responsible for their predicament as far as I am aware, though Germany and France were, it should be recalled, resolutely against the 2003 war on Iraq.

As the Russian writer and dramatist Yevgeny Grishkovets pointed out in his blog, 'They will never feel grateful to the people whose countries they have managed to get into....because the very same states first turned their own home countries into a bloodbath.'

My source for this is Slavoj Zizek's latest book Against the Double Blackmail. Here's an extract from the penultimate paragraph:

'A day after the Paris attacks, one of them [the refugees] dryly commented on TV: "Imagine a city like Paris, where the state of exception that reigns there today is simply a permanent feature of daily life for months if not for years. This is what we are escaping from."'

I'll leave it up to others to assess whether these perceptions are justified.

16. sabrinakat

Ssh! Don't provoke the 'cut/paste' crowd, although it is a bit early for their 2am daily fail glorification fest.....

vannie likes this.
  17. Burndenpark

That was the inspiration- I just didn't spell it out ;)

sabrinakat likes this.
  18. Didactylos4

I remember it just like it was last year........

Hang on
    It was :D

sabrinakat likes this.
  19. Scintillant

Something we should all bear in mind.

We make a mess, and then drive off into the distance like the OAP in a trilby, oblivious to the carnage behind them.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  20. Burndenpark

I think that's understandable given your sleep pattern

sabrinakat likes this.