1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Stampede Begins

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivor Novello, Jun 21, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

'other alternatives' - pray do tell.

Not the 'party line' - just reality.

Feel free to continue to tell porkies - it's all the Leave campaign has to offer.

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I think both sides tell porkies and idiots from both sides repeat them

The difference between us is that I don't use the campaign lies (from either side)

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

UK Border Control in Calais is nothing to do with the EU. It is a private treaty between the UK and France which either side can bring to an end with just 6 months notice.

4. FrankWolley

Your 'alternatives'?

5. Didactylos4

Well the first one would be to apply the relevant international laws
    I don't think this would be popular with the ferry or train companies or for that matter our European neighbours
    But that's life

6. FrankWolley

Practically what would you do - after 6 months the French send the UK Border agency staff home - and start allowing all travellers onto ferries. How do you stop them arriving in Dover? (Without stopping so much freight traffic that there are shortages in UK shops...)

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I hear people from the leave saying "Both sides...." much more than the remain side.

The obvious reason is that the leave side has, without a shadow of a doubt, used much more misinformation and lies, much more frequently than the remain side. They have to, because pretty much everyone who's an expert in a particular field that might be affected, says to remain.

I'm not voting either.

sabrinakat, Burndenpark and lanokia like this.
  8. FrankWolley

A pity. Remember:

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" (Edmund Burke - possibly!)

sabrinakat and Burndenpark like this.
  9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

And I was clearly refering to those who were sent on with a hope and a wish. Some will have been separated from their parents unintentionally, some will be orphans.

I desperately want to help. But it's not that simple. But Mr Ork and I are looking into it.

10. Didactylos4

You don't stop them arriving at Dover
    You just don't let them land without the right documentation.
    And yes some would get through but some do now

11. FrankWolley

So day 1 a ferry arrives with 50 or 100 young men on it. They run down the gangway (perhaps holding passengers hostage...). Variations on this happen increasingly often.

How do you think the Home Secretary will be able to stop this? (Here's a clue they won't try after once or twice...) So camps are st up. before long the 'jungle' is re-established, though with better conditions and paid for by the UK taxpayer...

This 'alternative' does nothing except the situation worse.

Want another go?

12. wanet

wanet Star commenter

You mean the table that keeps popping up on different areas on here - but thought that was for remain, probably worse than any think from either offical side. at least theirs are only partial untruths.

13. Didactylos4

No I'm satisfied with my earlier post
    If you want to try your latest scare tactics feel free.
    I don't mind how foolish you end up looking

14. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Young men who had the money and documentation needed to by a ticket and board the boat?

15. FrankWolley

After Brexit the French won't be, let us say, looking too hard at stopping them getting onto ferries. Do you expect the crew to search lorries? Perhaps putting themselves at risk? I expect their unions might have something to say about that...

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

should be interesting if they on a french ferry and we refuse them the right to land...wonder how long that one will work if they have to stay on board.?

Vir Cotto likes this.
  17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No. I don't mean any table

If I did, I would say so.

The remain side don't need to lie or distort. Anyone who is anyone - in whatever field you care to mention - seems to be for remain.

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The "truth" is simply an inconvenient abstract concept to Farage, one that he occasionally has to address when he's called out by others, most of the time he doesn't let it bother him, it doesn't bother plenty of his supporters either.

19. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

They should have been sent back, clearly they were just economic migrants.

Where as there's no hint of any wars in any parts of Africa or the middle East.
    But if you want to know about coming wars, just ask Wanet- he's an expert, apparently we're going to invade France if we get to a population of 70 million.

How is it different?

No- it really does read like you are.

But what's the point in them coming if you want to stop them coming?

Now- I'm sure you've been warned before about using facts! It won't help you win arguments.

The health tourists? That the EU is going to privatise the NHS? That EU law bans the nationalisation of things? That bananas can only be sold in bunches of between 2 and 5?

I think that statement could be a good example of a "partial untruth"

20. Didactylos4

But they do just the same