1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Stampede Begins

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivor Novello, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

My bet still stands BP
    Any winnings will of course be donated to charity
    Any losses will, as usual, be my problem :D

2. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

TBH I'm really not sure what bet you are talking about.:confused:

3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I know you've slept since but last night at about 10:50pm I joked about my bet on the result and my propensity for getting bets wrong

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Are you propositioning Burndenpark?
    :eek:

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

me....nah one wife is enough.unless some one wants her...slightly used, long suffering and never stops knitting and generous in letting me borrow money:rolleyes:

6. Burndenpark

Oh that- I thought you meant a bet between us two.

TBH it's better than the offer Lexus made me.

Didactylos4 likes this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Well im not upping the stakes.....:p

Didactylos4 likes this.
  8. Burndenpark

You already have done, you don't know what he offered.

9. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Right, well, some things need to happen:

There needs to be a change at the top of the Conservative party and consequently a new PM, probably later this summer, once the financial markets have settled down. There is no way Cameron and Osborne can run the exit strategy after heading up the 'Remain' campaign.

And

In relation to the OP, steps need to be taken: a massive and emergency increase in staff controlling our borders (maybe involving the Army), specifically at the Channel tunnel and also the beaches and harbours within reach of France by small boats, especially while the summer weather is with us.

What about the border between N. Ireland and Eire? I don't really know enough about that.

Payments to Europe: even if we sign article 50 today, we are still looking at two years to complete the withdrawal. I never understood why the bus said £350million a week, when it's more like £125million. But they got away with that and still won. However, 125 x 104 = £1.3 billion, do we still have to stump up that dosh or can we get out of it?

Oh how weird, Dimbleby has just asked a guy on the TV (Liam Fox) about that - apparently we can't do anything about it.....:(

Finally, again referring back to the OP, I assume for the two years and possibly longer - if the PM drags his feet - the free movement of people from EU countries will still be in place, how do we stop a 'swarm' (Cameron's words, not mine) of people coming here, before we can actually "take control"?

Ivor Novello likes this.
  10. Ivor Novello

Ivor Novello Occasional commenter

All hands to the guns, I think.

11. mseerie

mseerie New commenter

Isn't that sad, though? Shouldn't we regret that we didn't take in huge numbers in 1939? I really wish we had, it gives me no joy to think of the millions that could have been saved had more countries opened their doors to them. Anne Frank would still be alive had her father's asylum request been granted.

A child that is not born here is not worthy of safety and comfort, then? Leaving a refugee camp in Turkey to try to achieve that makes refugees unworthy, does it?

The children in 1939 were worthy because there weren't many of them, is that it?