1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Stampede Begins

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Ivor Novello, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Ivor Novello

Ivor Novello Occasional commenter

There's trouble in Calais again, courtesy of - guess who - again. The BBC won't report it. I wonder why!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rries-UK-police-used-tear-gas-force-back.html

I was starting to get a little worried, actually. I was starting to think they wouldn't kick off and starve the Leave campaign of a little more juice, which would be considerably damaging after recent misfortunes. However, they didn't let us down! And look at the language they are using and the attitude behind it. Has Bob Geldoff been teaching English and etiquette over in the camps or something?

In spite of warnings I am sure they must have got from militant, violent, leftist groups like No Borders, to keep things very quiet until after the Referendum, they ignored the warnings and caused another riot. It is precisely because of this kind of behaviour that the UK doesn't want them here. But they can't see that.

It looks like this is making up for Farage's poster, so thanks, migrants of Calais, thanks to you, Leave is back in the game!

2. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Were UK to leave the EU, you may be sure that the would-be migrants presently in Calais would be in Kent.

chelsea2, vannie, Burndenpark and 4 others like this.
  3. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Briefly possibly

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

So you accept that his poster needs some "making up for" then.

kibosh likes this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

According to one report the waiting refugees/immigrants/economic migrants where heard shouting F...K of Britain.Yet they still want to come here!
    Why do you suppose there are even more unaccompanied children in Calais....surely not because it will play on the hearts of the liberal English who will demand we let them all in to save them from danger?

lexus300 and Ivor Novello like this.
  6. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

It worked for a few lucky children in 1939....

7. Ivor Novello

That was the threat, yes, but it is highly unlikely, just like the rest of the threats from the EU.

8. Ivor Novello

Not the poster per se. The poster just showed the complete and utter truth. But certainly, it was an imprudent choice of image given certain people's sensibilities, so yes something needs making up for, but not the truth, possibly just the way the truth was put across. But this is doing it! Once the migrants start kicking off, it brings the issue right back to immigration and people start to be more objective once again and realise it isn't about one person's political views, but about the future of the country.

9. Ivor Novello

They hate the UK but we are supposed to let them in. If we don't we're 'racists'. Well, what the hell are they, shouting things like that?

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I just find it odd how they've got this far into the EU....

wanet likes this.
  11. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Why do you say that like it's an insult? We shouldn't have to debate whether we do something to ensure the safety of children and we shouldn't sneering at people who seek to save them from danger.

mseerie, chelsea2, vannie and 3 others like this.
  12. oldsomeman

The difference was there was war on the horizon,the Jewish community was being exterminated .or disowned and they fled.However the numbers arriving where not the huge numbers we have in store today.Whilst there are some fleeing threat and war in their country its not quite the same as 1939.
    We also took in large numbers of Europeans as the Blitzkrieg expanded and Europe was about to topple.
    At the same time lots of UK folk fled to USA and Canada, and they took lots of our and refugee children.
    Its not wanting to help which is the problem...its the possible imposition of quantities and fines if we don't.
    Ps my Father's father was a refugee to America..so I dont have a personal axe to grind.

lexus300 likes this.
  13. oldsomeman

No I am not sneering,but some time it needs to be pointed out as not all folks i meet are kind hearted liberals who want to help them....nor are they right wing before you might go off on that tangent.I understand parents doing this....but i dont agree that they are doing it......even if it must be a huge personal distress upon the parents.
    If we are to accept them they should be a family at least.that way we set he whole family up for siccess.not place a child in care at some huge cost and possibly not a lot of happiness for that child.

wanet likes this.
  14. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

so we have to let it go as far as it did in 1939 to show a bit of compassion?

bombaysapphire likes this.
  15. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You clearly were.

I wasn't going to go off on any tangent. If "not all folks you meet" are happy leaving unaccompanied children in the Calais camps (regardless of how they got there) perhaps you need to meet different people rather than post their views as if they were your own.

I can't honestly believe you'd walk past any child in need. Your posts in the past have often come across as generous, caring and warmhearted - the fact that you'd rather accept families than separate children from them speaks volumes.

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I suspect their English is better than that...

Off.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    oldsomeman likes this.
  17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Two things.

1. Last year I went through Calais twice. On one occasion, due to queues caused by earlier strikes, we were stuck on the road, unable to move. We saw large numbers - several hundred certainly - young African men (easily identifiable as not Syrian refugees, nor children) trying to break into vans and lorries. They are almost all economic migrants, not refugees.

2. As has been said, the current arrangements by which the UK conducts passport checks on French soil is already very unpopular in France (and the 'jungle' gives France bad publicity worldwide). There can be no doubt, as some French politicians and the former UK ambassador to France have said, if we leave the EU the French will end this arrangement (as they have the right to do with 6 months notice). Then all such checks, and a new 'jungle', will end up in the UK, probably near Dover or Folkestone.

So - if you want Farage's nightmare, vote Leave.

18. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I'm sure the orphans and those that have become separated from their parents will be so grateful that you believe they should be kept homeless and in limbo to spare them the potential misery of living in care in the UK. I bet they're breathing a sigh of relief in their shacks.

19. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

There are other alternatives
    But feel free to keep posting the party line

wanet likes this.
  20. oldsomeman

did i actualy say that?......read it correctly....i prefer the whole family to come if possible..not children sent on with a hope and wish.to fall prey to the evil that lies in such camps.This is nor uncaring..but i didn't send them there in hope.
    strange how we all say we should help but when it happens no body wants them.or the child.