1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Spreading of Germs in Schools...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Oct 15, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I was teaching yesterday when I student pointed out that I'd caught a spot on my face and was bleeding. I had blood on my hands.
    The girls' toilets are just across from my classroom, so I just popped over there wuickly to wash my hands and face. What did I discover? There is no soap in the girls' toilets. A youngster was in there just coming out of one of the stalls, so I asked if this was usual, and she said "Oh yes, there's NEVER any soap in here".
    My question is this: how are schools taking steps to stop the spread of germs?
    Is it usual to not give children soap to wash their hands after going to the toilet? I'm appalled by this and keep thinking about the filthiness of this school with 1400 children, none of whom are able to wash their hands during the school day - before eating as well!
    No wonder there are so many illnesses and bugs flying around! I will most certainly be taking a sick day or two if I feel unwell, and I will be telling the school that it's likely to be their own bloomin' fault!!

2. When the Swine Flu "crisis" was around, our college made sure that there was soap and antibac' in all of the loos but now there's only soap. They also made sure that the door handles, table tops etc were all cleaned every day so that infection hot-spots were addressed. I looked at our door handles and the bits that surround them only yesterday and was disgusted - they are filthy. I don't think the tables in our teaching rooms have been cleaned since last term and the rest of the place is really not great.
    As for the loos... we have had a big drive in my department about this recently because we noticed that the soap levels in the loos is pretty consistent, i.e. doesn't go down much. THe thought of using the Music Tech' equipment etc after someone has spread goodness knows what all over it is enough to make me gag!
    Oh, a spitting! I've asked my students why they insist on spitting on the ground outside of our building, in their social area, and they just said that it was because they're teenagers (!). I pointed out that people walk through it, put their feet on chairs, then all of that is transfered to tables/equipment and then into people's systems. It's little wonder that we're getting every bug going.
    So, in answer to your question - my particular college (not a school, but still in education) is doing nothing to stop the spread of germs.

3. Soap doesn't kill germs, it removes oil and grease. Hot water kills germs. I presume you have hot water? Of course soap helps, as the germs don't have oil and grease to hide in, but only if you have automatic dispensers. Soap and soap dispensers actually SPREAD germs very effectivley. NEVER wash your face with shared soap, or soap from a shared dispenser.

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I'm inclined to say this is nonesense.

5. Soap consists of molecules which surround and lift globules of fat and oil . What harm would this do bacteria? If it is strong enough to disrupt bacterial mambranes it is strong enough to disrupt yours too. What harm do you think it could do viruses?
    Antiseptic will kill pathogens. If you use antiseptic, you create an area without microbes, the first microbes to then land in that area will rapidly reproduce and colonies it. So you have an area colonies by one species, rather than many, and if that species is pathogenic, you are then a lot worse off than when you started.
    Some microbes may survive the antiseptic, they will then breed, and the area is then colonised by microbes resistant to antiseptic. This is exactly the same mechanism by which using antibiotics selfishy and irresponsibly has led to infectins which are resistant to medicine.
    I'm not saying don't use soap, just don't use antiseptic soap for no reason. And don't think soap itself is some magical safety agent which will protect you from germs, it aint.

6. joli2

joli2 New commenter

So basically, there's no hope. Might as well spit and polish.

7. No, I'm not saying that! water washes off dirt, and bacteria, and hot water kills the bacteria. Soap helps by removing oil and grease in which there will be some bacteria - it also makes you lok and smell better, I'm just saying soap spreads as many germs as it clears.

8. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Soap is actually quite good at killing germs. But that shouldn't be the point of washing. Washing should remove the dirt and germs. Water will do this pretty well, water and soap a little better. Anti-bacterial gels are a bit of a distraction. If you sterilise your otherwise dirty hands then they will become recolonised by germs very quickly. Cleanliness should be the aim. But how you achieve that in a school I really don't know. Unless you closely police the washing of hands before eating and after using the toilet I doubt you can do much at all.
    I never went in our school toilets as they were disgusting.

9. It can help, it can also spread them, them live on it and move from one washer to another

10. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

The first time I went to the toilets as a year 7 I was nearly sick. There was no soap, nothing to dry our hands with, no toilet paper and used sanitary towels/tampons all over the place and grafitti everywhere. They had special ones open on open evenings which were locked the rest of the time! It really was horrible but it was because as soon as they put only loo paper or soap in there it would get thrown all around. Girls used to smoke in there as well. I never used those toilets and wouldn't drink all day.
    My last school had a really good way around the problem, the boys and girls toilets were tucked away but when you came out it was into an open space near the school office to wash your hands.

11. joli2

joli2 New commenter

It doesn't seem worth using soap at all. I might not bother today [​IMG]

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Soap makes me itch far too much.
    I rarely use soap.
    Sorry if that offends you.

13. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Me too actually. But I think I'm acceptably fragrant.

14. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I am not a hygiene freak by any means not be a long way..but
    I am developing an issue over hand washing after using the toilets. I just don't think parents train children to do this any more. Very few of our littlies wash their hands after using the loo and lots of them spend a lot of time picking their noses etc. We have a new child who drools over everything too. We should be training them to wipe their own pooey bums ready for school but I honestly don't think they would wash their hands afterwards. It is a bit yeuky isn't it?
    Then another thing that bothers me is that some workers give children wet paper or cotton wool to put on an injury that has a little blood oozing out. Blood remains infectious for up to 2 years or something like that. I hate finding little blood parcels around the place or seeing them being fiddled with while the child is getting over the injury. It is one of my little obsessions.

15. I taught my children to wash their hands.
    My daughter is appalled at the filthy state of the toilets at her school.
    Regarding the blood, I think you might be over-reacting a little. I doubt this small amount of blood would be a problem and I don't think you are right about the 2 years thing. In any case, bleach or disinfectant would solve the issue on surfaces.
    Why not encourage the school/ children to use the alcohol gel stuff?

16. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I get sore hands in winter that is why I hate little bits of tissue with blood on. We have anti bac liquid soap and use gallons of it.
    I have probably caught everything they have got already and am therefore immune to everything. That is my theory.

17. There's never any soap in the STAFF toilet where I work but the student's bathrooms are well stocked with the dispensers.

18. Think Early Years,no proper supervised hand washing.....er yuck.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I don't want to think about the germs in a school. Just a few swabs taken around a school would be fascinating.
    Mind you, I don't think many adults are much better. I think you get used to it working in a school. You must get exposed to a lot of germs.