1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Spelling Thread

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by marmot.morveux, Apr 3, 2012.

1. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

I thought I should discretely add this thread, to help us all with our job applications. I shall start you all off with some words ....

definitely, separate, desperate,

2. SummAry !!

3. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

Not a word I would use in an application! [​IMG]
    I think the correct use of homophones - they're, their, there, of, off, here, hear, two, too, to etc. is really important.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

And a note to all those thinking of applying to an independent school - especially one or two recent posters who have apparently been working in such schools for a while and are under the misapprehension that it is spelled 'independant'.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

6. In 3 out of 4 of my letters of application, I spelt OFSTED wrong. Apparently nobody noticed though...

7. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

How did you spell it??

8. OSFTED As you can see I did it when I was typing and my fingers must have got confused.

9. OSFTED As you can see I did it when I was typing and my fingers must have got confused. Having used the same middle paragraph for all 4 letters I only noticed when re-reading it before sending off my 4th. Managed to get interviews every time though. Also, writing an application this evening I noticed that on one of my previous applications I stated I have "taught across KS3 and KS3". I'm wondering how well anyone actually read my applications now or whether it is just "eeney-meany-miney-mo".

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Had a power cut and it must have posted at that point when I pressed refresh..

10. marmot.morveux

marmot.morveux New commenter

...advice (noun), to advise (verb)....ditto with 'a practice' (noun), 'to practise' (verb).... 'permanent'.

11. Discretely - as an independent unit
    Discreetly - prudently and with self-restraint

It's the 'your', 'you're', they're', 'there' and 'their' mistakes that drive me bonkers.

I have found errors in grammar and spelling in job adverts and the information I have been sent with the application packs for jobs. In one case, it looked the headmaster had asked one of the Yr 7 low literacy group to write his blurb.