1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Sociopath Next Door....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Larsy, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

I've been reading up on bullying in hopes of being able to recognise the signs so I can intercept as early as possible. My reading led me on to the theory of bullies (particularly adult ones) having a sociopathic bent, & from there I read a couple of books about the abnormal personality.
    According to studies, 4% of the population have no conscience and no empathy & scorns society's rules - the book claimed this was down to nature rather than nurture, that you are born that way. It got me thinking, some of the people I know therefore must have been sociopaths but I am racking my brains to think of anyone who displayed no conscience whatsoever. By those statistics, there must be at least one in each class!
    What does everyone else think? Scaremongering or sadly true?

2. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

I've been reading up on bullying in hopes of being able to recognise the signs so I can intercept as early as possible. My reading led me on to the theory of bullies (particularly adult ones) having a sociopathic bent, & from there I read a couple of books about the abnormal personality.
    According to studies, 4% of the population have no conscience and no empathy & scorns society's rules - the book claimed this was down to nature rather than nurture, that you are born that way. It got me thinking, some of the people I know therefore must have been sociopaths but I am racking my brains to think of anyone who displayed no conscience whatsoever. By those statistics, there must be at least one in each class!
    What does everyone else think? Scaremongering or sadly true?

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I have certainly encountered such people, one of whom was a previous HOD whose continued lies and disregard for anyone he ever came across eventually caught up with him.
    When you are aware of such people you stop making excuses for them or trying to understand their point of view and see them for what they are, things suddenly start to fall into place and the behaviour becomes explicable.
    No idea on the 4% (who has ever measured it?) but can believe it.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

It can depend on the level of intelligence, but some if not many sociopaths are clever. They can learn to mimic the rules of society to fit in, but they are still sociopathic. Thus many of them are seen to "function" in society without feeling a part of it. Some can be perfectly ok all their lives, others become serial killers, torturors and other varieties of nasty person. I have known some.

5. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

6. Gardening Leaves

I could post you a youtube clip of the sociopath with whom I worked and who deliberately destroyed my career and health because he knew that I knew he was a fraud. The traits are evident, even in a video ostensibly promoting a teaching method. He can't help himself!

7. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

Wow, it would be interesting to see that! This book was very useful in telling you how to avoid being a target to one but when you're stuck with them in a work situation its impossible to avoid them!
    I'm really sorry about what he did to you, what a thoroughly unpleasant man he sounds.
    Lara

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I worked with troubled teens for some years. Some of those would fit the 'sociopath' profile. Perhaps more worrying was the fact that at least two of the staff ticked all the boxes too.
    One of them was a particularly nasty piece of work. Smart, bright, friendly, articulate and professional - on the outside ......something decidedly 'dark' inside.

9. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

This is familiar to me too

10. Gardening Leaves

[​IMG]
    Sadly I can't do that because it would identify the school and the bully! I'll post it with abandon when/if I win my court case! Then everyone can go... ugh HIM...!! He's now my Headteacher!! :)
    Poster a19pb has started a number of useful threads on the psychology of bullying that you may find useful to read for background information. I found them invaluable:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/491961/6761792.aspx#6761792

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I read this recently - fascinating
    [​IMG]

12. Gardening Leaves

[​IMG] Sadly that would identify both him and the school and I can't risk that, with a court case in the offing! If/When I win I'll publish and be damned and then everyone can go...urgh HIM!! He's now my Head!!! :)
    Poster a19pb has put up a number of threads on the psychology of bullying that I found very useful. Here is the link:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/491961/6761792.aspx#6761792

13. MrsArmitage

MrsArmitage Occasional commenter

Oh I deffo work with one! My therapist has told me to keep well away, he's apparently a threat to my physical and mental wellbeing. The threats to kill me weren't enough to warn other people that he's maybe not the 'nice guy' he seems -but it sort of set alarm bells ringing for me!

14. I really, really hope that you win. Good for you.

15. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

These links are fabulous, thank you so much. I sincerely hope you win your case & hang this man out to dry.
    :) Larsy

16. Blimey...he threatened to kill you in school??? And he's still there?
    Presumably you reported it to your Head - and the Police?
    I have worked with some rather nasty, two-faced people...and they were selfish to the core. It was all about them...always.. I used to think they were merely selfish, or driven, but on reflection they were oddities....and few people warmed to them.

17. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

It just occurred to me that I know someone who perhaps doesn't fit the sociopathic bill, but certainly has a lack of empathy/conscience & as you say, selfish to the core & utterly blind to other people's problems. Its very wearing.

18. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Have you ever stopped to consider whether you might be the sociopath next door?

19. Larsy

Larsy New commenter

of course I did, but I have an over-developed conscience & a huge amout of empathy which makes my life very difficult at times & I developed a terrible squint from seing both sides of the situation.

20. I've only ever met 3 or 4 true psycho or sociopaths, and I worked in Forensic psychiatry for years. I think maybe the term is used too easily.
    However if you were to ask about people who have Personality Disorders, well.......... that's a whole different ball game.