1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Social Parliament of the Internet

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I appreciate that Youtuber Carl Benjamin AKA Sargon of Akkad is not everyone's cup of tea but he makes some very interesting points here about the concentration of social power in the hands of a very small group of very rich & unaccountable people:

Many younger people, native netizens, are unaware that these social media platforms are the levers of their supranational culture but those of us who were born into the culture & morality of our regions & our nation see them all too clearly. Is our sovereignty & future under an indirect threat which no Brexit can anticipate?

In posting this video I do not endorse everything said in it, nor necessarily the views of people mentioned in it, but Benjamin points to a worrying phenomenon whatever the politics of those behind it.

artboyusa and lanokia like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]

It is of course pure coincidence that Facebook, Youtube, PInterest, Linkedin, Disqus and many others decided within the same 12 hour window that Alex Jones and InfoWars were now persona non grata.

This will in no way fuel platforms like Minds.com, Gab.ai, Duckduckgo and Bitchute...

I suspect the usual types will cheer this on and criticise you Vince for posting such a video.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Isn't a video supposed to have moving pictures? Or am I terribly old-fashioned?

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It's a video that works like an opinion piece ... akin to a TES post where he gives his opinion...

They've been popular on youtube for the last 5 years or so in their little corner of the site.

5. Vince_Ulam

A conspiracy is one way to close down a conspiracy theorist.

6. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

What do you do for fun Vince? Just saying.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Alex Jones? Lol.

Mr Jones can still witter on about the massacre of the Sandy Hook children being a hoax. No one is stopping his right to free speech. His nonsense it readily accessible. Facebook and Twitter etc have decided they do not wish to be associated with it.

We can discuss his views here it anyone wishes?

8. Vince_Ulam

Fun things. You?

9. Vince_Ulam

I am not invested in Jones' views. I am concerned with the points I raised in the opening post.

artboyusa likes this.
  10. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Sometimes I literally have no clue what is going on some of these threads. Are we talking about Alex Jones from The One Show?

chelsea2, lanokia and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Didn't he sing 'walking in the air'?

12. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I thought he was that bassist bloke from Blur. You know, the one who likes making cheese.

lanokia and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Scintillant

[​IMG]

He's let himself go since "Country House"

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  14. Vince_Ulam

It has had an effect:

upload_2018-8-8_20-55-46.png

15. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I would hazard a guess he's been indulging in a bit too much of his cheese.

Scintillant likes this.
  16. Scintillant

Clearly.

[​IMG]

17. Vince_Ulam

Surprised, rather.

18. Vince_Ulam

YouTube and Twitter censoring erratically:

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Now Gavin McInnes and H3H3 have been hit... seems Youtube hit H3H3 for just talking about Alex Jones
    upload_2018-8-11_16-40-50.png
    Youtube have since back tracked after realising they looked like authoritarian idiots.

20. Scintillant

In Vince's video, the reasons for the decisions taken are clearly given in respect of Gavin McInnes and the "Proud Boys."