1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The so-called Croydon cat killer does not exist

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Sep 20, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The so-called Croydon cat killer does not exist, the Metropolitan Police has confirmed.

The force launched an investigation in 2015 into reports of mutilated cats, often with heads and tails removed, in Croydon and the surrounding area.

Twenty-five post-mortem examinations were carried out but found no evidence of "human involvement", Scotland Yard said.

Foxes are believed to be behind some of the mutilations.

Police said injuries inflicted on cats were "likely to be the result of predation or scavenging by wildlife on cats killed in vehicle collisions".

During the probe, detectives received more than 400 similar reports of cats being mutilated across London and surrounding counties.

However, all of the cases will now be recorded as "no crime".

[Wonders how many innocent people have been accused of being a cat killer by angry cat-owning neighbours...]

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'd never heard of this until now.

3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Yes, I heard this on the news. I sincerely hope it's true that there isn't someone on the loose who hates cats so much that they kill them. The unfortunate thing about cats is that they are allowed to roam about on their own and so owners cannot see if they go out and onto roads. With my dog, she only ever went out with me on her lead and then let off to run where I was. Whilst we hear about cats who are sadly killed, there must be thousands of poor birds who are killed because someone has gone to work and left their animal to do what it likes. A person with a dog would be prosecuted for doing this.

4. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I'm not quite sure why one cat pottering about in the garden leads to the death of thousands of birds. I've had six cats in my life and only one has been a successful hunter and even he never managed more than two or three birds a month. But I am glad the Croyden Cat Killer is no more.

elder_cat likes this.
  5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Are urban foxes on the rise? They don't carp in my garden as much as bloody cats.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I am surprised, I've seen one of these cats. It looked very deliberately mutilated and laid out to me, I grew up on a farm and have seen many fox kills - no similarity at all. Also I regularly see interactions between cats and foxes on my estate, no aggression or fear between them at all, likely to give each other a small berth, pass each other a foot ortwo apart.

partly I think the suggestion is nuts, partly I think the police must know better than I do.

maybe its a behaviour change in urban foxes in South London, they have certainly become a lot bolder over the years, and don't behave anything like normal wild foxes now. Still odd that they would bother with cats, who can scratch and bite, rather than the thousands of half eaten kababs lying around, that pose no risk of injury to the fox from trying to defend themselves what so ever.

InkyP likes this.
  7. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

It may be true, it may not - only time will tell. But either way, it's pretty slick. In one fell swoop they have managed to free up resources, absolve themselves of any potential responsibility for not having brought anyone to account, and reduce the numbers of crimes recorded as crimes.

8. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

We live just behind Hillingdon Hospital, which is home to many urban foxes. These seem to have no fear of anything, sometimes passing you by almost close enough to brush against your trouser legs.