1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Slap

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Victoria Plum, Jan 16, 2011.

1. I am reading this and am going to an actual real-life Book Club on the 25th of this month to "discuss it" - exciting!! I'm only part way through it but I am finding it's causing conflicting emotions in me. Initially I thought that the child deserved a good smack and was disgusted at the lack of discipline Hugo's parents showed him. I find them both incredibly annoying!! There was a mini-twist for me as well because I was assuming it was Hector who was going to smack him and I didn't actually like him very much so couldn't muster much sympathy for him. BUT when Harry smacked him I felt very sorry for him until the chapter which focused on him when I found I didn't like his character very much either. So, at this point (and I'm only up to 'Connie's' chapter) I don't like anybody very much and the only person I have any sympathy for is Hugo - that's just because it's purely the fault of his obnoxious parents that he's behaving like he does! And personally I don't like all the swearing, sex and drug-taking. If I hadn't bought this book and was reading it for a reason I probably would have given up on it...

2. I liked some parts of it but hated the fact they were all swearing so much and there was so much drugs. It just seemed a bit weird how even the grandparents were ****** and jeffing. Overall I have to say I wasn't keen and one of the reasons were the paragraphs and chapters were so long!

3. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I just read up to the end of a section and can manage several before I drop off. It will take me about 4 weeks to read though. I'm quite enjoying it at present though it is a bit like watching "Mistresses" on the tele - you know its a bit rubbish but want to know what happens. I expected it to have more substance but maybe I've not read enough yet. Btw - grandparents do sometimes swear - this one does anyway.