1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Slap

Discussion in 'Book club' started by vehar, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Sorry if it's been done...missed it. Anyone read it? What did you think? It's good, but I found the picture it presents of today's youth --- not just the youth of Melbourne--- quite shocking: was quite taken aback by the casual abuse of alcohol and drugs -- emphasis on 'casual'. Made me feel I have NOTHING in common with the youth of today.... and these are nice kids! Good kids. They have part-time jobs; they're not thugs: they treat people with respect; they share the kind of values I can recognise. But the risks they take--- my generation, children of the 60s, were no angels; but we didn't have that weary cynicism that seems to permeate today's youth culture, that seems to make them completely dependent on external stimulation ....did we?

2. I don't know the book you're talking about, but I feel the same when i read books about adults who abuse drugs. I know it goes on, but not among my close circle it doesn't and I can't identify with it.

3. I know what you mean, but somehow it seems worse in kids. Shouldn't just being alive be enough at that age?

4. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I am about a third of the way through this book and cannot understand w

5. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I am about a third of the way through this tacky book and fail to see why it has been so highly praised when it is little more than an excuse for the author to get off on bashing out more than 400 pp of soft **** where the characters use 4 letter words in every other sentence and take drugs every 5 minutes. You will wonder why I am reading it. I had read so many good reviews in the UK and was waiting for copies to start appearing for 50p in the charity shops. But I found a copy on the shelf in my bedroom in Oz last night and started on it. Not having 2,500 books on a kindle to choose from I am persevering with it though I am already fed up of the repetitious details of every male character's c o c k coming out through the aperture in his trousers. Clearly this author's brain has either rotted with drug abuse or resides in his own c o c k. And this book won some prestigious prizes! I am staying in the greek area of Sydney and am keeping my eyes fixed to the ground as I walk to the shops in case the Greek males should be flashing, drug taking or calling me a c n u t.

6. I have not read The Slap but feel that I have after reading all the hype!
    A trusted local reviewer called it an 'unpleasant little book', sympathised with Australian ethnic communities for their portrayal in it, and gave it one start out of five.
    I tend to agree with her reviews, so probably won't bother with it - until that 10p copy turns up in a charity shop maybe. I often read the first three chapters of books - (force of habit from publishing) - then, if I know I'll hate it, I won't read further.
    Could anyone who liked The Slap say exactly why perhaps? Is it worthy of all the praise and award nominations in your opinion?

7. I was SO disappointed with this. I was desperate to read it, gave up even before halfway through, felt cross with myself for not reading it all, so skimmed through to the end. Didn't care what happened to any of the characters, got fed up reading about sex all the time. Should have been called The C**k because that's the author's favourite word it seems. Back to Scandinavian crime for me!!

8. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Tried to read it but found it so dull that I gave up which isn't like me I usually stick with I book until the end even if I'm not especially enjoying it.

9. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

One of my biggest disappointments ever - it sounded really intriguing from the blurb and had such good reviews. I don't know why I kept going on until the end - it was unremittingly unpleasant. I kept meeting characters that seemed OK when they first appeared, but then when they had their own chapter, and you got to know them, you realised that they were just as awful as everybody else.
    I was given it as a Christmas preseent from my mum and dad. Luckily, I looked suitably excited when I unwrapped it. I just hope they never ask to borrow it - I know that they'd be really offended by all the explicit sex and the swearing.

10. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Thanks for all these comments.
    I hadn't heard of this book, but now know that it's one to avoid.

11. I am glad it is not just me! The blurb drew me in and I kept waiting for the book to do the same but it never happened. It is boring and crude and I didn't finish it- most unlike me.