1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Six Phase of Teaching Letters and Sounds

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Maithepaula, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Having looked through the letters and sounds books to refresh myself and get some inspiration for new phonics games etc I noticed that the games have video clips on the DVD- but I can't find the DVD anywhere!I have downloaded the book just need to find the the video clips. Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. Having looked through the letters and sounds books to refresh myself and get some inspiration for new phonics games etc I noticed that the games have video clips on the DVD- but I can't find the DVD anywhere!I have downloaded the book just need to find the the video clips. Can anyone help? Thanks!

3. hurny

hurny New commenter

Which phase are you looking for?

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. Despite Jim Rose warning about phonics activities bordering on 'extraneous', I would suggest that some of the actitivies promoted by Letters and Sounds and available to view on the DVD are bordering on 'extraneous'!
    Please bear in mind, also, that the phases were not intended as a way of differentiating - but of an order of introducing letter/s-sound correspondences.
    Phase Six is worryingly placed as if it follows on from Phase Five - but the contents of Phase Six should arguably be part of general spelling and grammar teaching taking place throughout Reception and key stage one - not as an 'after' phase!
    Also worrying is that Phase five is a vast stage of much teaching and learning of the complex alphabetic code. Very little indeed is suggested by way of practical teaching and learning ideas.
    In effect, I suggest that Letters and Sounds is really not a full programme - more like guidance with details.
    The underlying teaching principles are fine - but teachers do need to supplement it considerably to make it viable in a day to day way.

6. Hello MSZ,
    Thanks so much, that was very, very helpful.
    Have a nice weekend!
    MPS

7. Thanks Debbie, Interesting comments...
    Have a nice weekend!

MPS

8. Letters and Sounds was a good start but a good start with many flaws. Phase 1 is irrelevant. Phase 2 introduces some of the basic code - good but why exclude some of that code, e.g. j, v, etc.? Phase 3 completes the 44ish sounds with one way of writing each - sensible. Phase 4 is confusing: if you teach decoding l-r all through the word then where is the need to teach consonant blends separately? This infers that only CVC words should be taught in phase 2. Phase 5, as Debbie says, is vast. There is no set order of progression when clearly there could be - teach the most common first and leave the more obscure until later. Deal quickly with the long vowel sounds. Phase 6 deals with spelling patterns, suffixes, prefixes, etc. many of which can be dealt with alongside other teaching. In many ways it is akin to the 2 maths strategies attempts to define a progression in maths - both failed when actually it is quite a simple and logical process.

9. I teach phase 2 as it is and combine 3/4. Seems ridiculus to teach all those phase 3 sounds without looking at adjacent consonants.

10. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think the "benefit" of L&S is that it raised awareness of phonics and the need to teach the four part lesson not just introduce a new sound every week.
    I think phases 2,3 & 4 are a single unit followed by phase 5. Phase 6 is going to crop up long before Y2 and phase 1 should be normal good language development in every classroomand breaking down into "aspects" is somewhat unnatural.