1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Sisters Brothers - Patrick de Witt

Discussion in 'Book club' started by nick909, Apr 5, 2012.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Anyone read this?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sisters-Brothers-Patrick-deWitt/dp/1847083196/ref=tmm_pap_title_0
    Picked it up in the library having read some good reviews and loved it so much I can't stop boring everyone about it. Tore through it in a few sittings and feeling a sense of loss.
    It's a black comedy Western, reminiscent of Cormac McCarthy but with absurdity and humour as well as all of the existential bleakness and horrific violence - combine McCarthy with Hunter S Thompson and you're getting there.. Such a funny cast of characters, hilarious set-pieces and incredible deadpan delivery and dialogue. Reminds me a lot of the Coen Brothers' films; it indeed would be ripe for an adaptation by them.
    If this is a taste of things to come, I can genuinely see him going on to be regarded as one of the cult classic American authors. Up there with Bukowski, Kerouac, Thompson, McCarthy and even Steinbeck.
    Anyone else? I gather his debut is nothing special.