1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The shocking truth of racism in British schools

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Truly shocking report - worth half an hour of anyone's time (And, no, it's not just from the pupils:eek:):

When a teenage activist sent a callout on social media for examples of racism within schools, he was deluged with responses. Aditya Chakrabortty began to investigate

https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2020/jul/23/the-shocking-truth-of-racism-in-british-schools

Intisar Chowdhury became a national figure this year after the death of his father from coronavirus led to him questioning the health secretary, Matt Hancock, on live radio. After the death of George Floyd and the national conversation on racism, Chowdhury began focusing his activism on schools and issued a call on social media for examples of discrimination. The response he received shocked him.

The Guardian columnist Aditya Chakrabortty tells Anushka Asthana how he and the producer Mythili Rao went to meet Chowdhury and investigate some of the evidence he had been amassing. They found racist abuse going unpunished, in some instances by teachers. The findings backed up a recent Runnymede Trust report, which concluded: “Much clearer antiracism policies are needed to institutionally embed a culture of antiracism in schools.”

2. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

I am sick of being told I am part of the problem. I'm not a racist, I don't recall ever witnessing any.

Jonntyboy, oldsomeman, Ohwell and 4 others like this.
  3. Morninglover

Did you listen to the podcast? If so, perhaps you could comment on what it says.

[NB It doesn't say YOU are part of the problem - but it does say that there IS a problem. Do you disagree?]

4. newposter

Britain is one of the most tolerant countries you could live in. If there is a problem it has been grossly exaggerated recently and I think we are on the verge of many normal people becoming quite cynical about it.

5. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Present the data.
    If there is any.

6. teapot24

teapot24 Occasional commenter

Damn it my reply was deleted. I listened to the pod cast and am absolutely appalled that in 2020 children are subjected to racism from pupils and teachers. It is disgusting. I work in a school in a largely Asian community in the UK and since starting there I have become more and more aware of an undercurrent of white superiority from certain people towards our Asian families, some of our white parents complain that their white children are in the minority and that "there aren't many children like them". Even the curriculum is geared so that white British children have an advantage. I do not agree that the right thing to do is ignore it by saying "Oh well I only see one race, the human race." But rather by talking openly about race with the children. Each race is unique and special for a number of different reasons, and we should discuss and celebrate our differences. There is much to learn from other cultures.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

No one tells me I'm part of the problem.

I have witnessed some.

You are not mentioned in the report, don't worry.

8. newposter

The kid on the podcast seems to suggest the whole school shouted racist abuse at him. I don't buy it.

9. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

If white children are in a minority in your school, is it wrong for parents to observe this?

How is the curriculum geared for white children, when they perform worse than BAME children?

Jonntyboy, xmal, hhhh and 2 others like this.
  10. alex_teccy

Is there a transcript anywhere?

11. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

That's the bad attitude to have and those parents are wrong.

It's frustrating seeing that message repeated in the media though, where it's a mainstream view that minority groups need to see "people like them" as role models. Sounds great until the majority group learns that message and starts repeating it.

I feel like measures taken to make things better end up making things worse and the only solution is going to be treating people as individuals and not as an extension of identity groups.

It's also the case that if you look for evidence of anything in a population of 70 million, you will find at least some cases. So we need better data on the frequency and type of racism if we are to stop it.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  12. Morninglover

Population of the UK is less than 70 million, by the way, but we actually need to make sure that schools are safe places for all pupils, and there is evidence in the podcast (which I'd recommend all those interested in education or working in schools listen to) that this ins't the case at the moment.

Scintillant likes this.
  13. SparkMaths

I rounded up.

Is the podcast talking about anecdotal data, which would require the specific schools to take action, or more substantial surveys which would need to be addressed nationally?

Oscillatingass and alex_teccy like this.
  14. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

You won't get that data unless there is a supportive culture for reporting it when it occurs. I suspect that unless it's treated as akin to child protection issues (i.e. your risking disciplinary proceedings if you know and don't report it) then a lot will fly under the radar.

Scintillant and Jamvic like this.
  15. SparkMaths

In the schools I've worked in, it has been treated that way. They have been very well integrated schools so maybe I'm biased, but I can't imagine a school not wanting to stamp out disruptive behaviour.

16. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Lead commenter

I have witnessed disgraceful racism in schools, but sadly it was between POC and other POC, specifically I worked in a school in the north about ten years ago, 99% Asian predominantly from Bangladesh. Any ‘new’ kid in the school i.e. new in the country were called “freshy” as in fresh off the boat and treated very, very badly indeed. We must remember that BAME people can be racists too.

Ive also seen white female teachers disrespected by Asian lads because of how women are perceived in their culture, is that racism ? Or sexism?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Jonntyboy, xmal and alex_teccy like this.
  17. alex_teccy

What? No.
    My mates daughter (white) was abused in a London school where she was a minority. When she complained she was basically told by the school to forget it because “ white children can’t be victims of racism”.

Jonntyboy likes this.
  18. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

"Chowdhury began focusing his activism on schools and issued a call on social media for examples of discrimination".

I would very much like to know

[a] what evidential standards Mr Chowdhury accepted - unsupported personal testimony, corroborated or documented testimony, written evidence?
    what definition of racism was used - the one that says that if I perceive an act as racist then it is, for example?
    [c] to what extent did he solicit examples of racism by BAME children towards white children?

I only ask because I think that asking for evidence of this kind on social media is asking to be lied to.

Jonntyboy, peter12171, xmal and 4 others like this.
  19. Katzenjammer

Katzenjammer Senior commenter

PS I don't know why points [b[ and [c] are in bold - I have tried to undo it but it won't re-format.

20. Morninglover

If you listen to the programme, you will learn more about this.