1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The shift in learning

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by suttill, Sep 20, 2016.

1. suttill

suttill New commenter

I've never posted on here before, but after several discussions with other professionals, and seeing what has been posted on here recently, it has caused me to reflect on my profession. I am wondering where the shift has taken place in teaching - is it in the behaviour, the expectations or on a broader scale is it a social issue? I am trying to think about the shift in work load from it being manageable to it being completely all consuming. If I remember back to my time at high school, I did my work whilst the teacher marked the books from last lesson. I did not need constant spoon feeding and supervision. I had a task to complete and I got on with it. I genuinely feel that the shift has happened between teaching and being a performer. We seem to feel the need to be out of our seats and if we were seen to be marking in lesson time then all hell would break loose with the SLT. Is it not the case that if the children are working then we can be too? I'm not recommending that we ignore those who need help, but we need a culture of work and I think the children need to see us working too.

My classes are nearly incapable of independent work and this is alarming. I am trying every 'strategy' in my arsenal other than 'sit there and get on with it whilst I mark these books'. Surely if they are doing, then I am marking and feeding back, then they are learning? If they are synthesising information and tackling problems independently then surely they will learn more?

Just a thought, I'd be really keen to hear what others think on the issue. Has learning shifted to be teacher centric in the wrong way? Am I a children's entertainer or an educator? Does my willingness and want to sit in a chair and mark make me a lazy teacher or one who just wants her own time at the end of the day and not to fall asleep in a pile of books every evening and weekend?

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I can only agree with you whole heartedly. You have said what I feel, but more eloquently than I would have. And after all of this has gone on, children seem to know so little and be so dependent and needy.

Ther is no reason on earth why teachers should have to be working more hours than a normal working week. It doesn't make for better education, just ruined lives.

phlogiston and pepper5 like this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I mark in front of classes. Last time I posted that, several people seemed to think it meant I was incompetent or failing the children but they seem happy and they make good progress. I think they should be working at least as hard as me in a lesson and if I mark their work while they are there, I can grab the ones who really don't get it and have a chat while it's still fresh in both our heads.

pepper5 likes this.