1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Shadow Line

Discussion in 'Personal' started by eggnchips, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Anybody watch it?

2. I've taped the last episode and haven't watched it yet, though I'm confident that I'll have as little idea what's going on afterwards as i have now.

3. I loved it! It really gripped me and the characters were the most menacing baddies ever. Stephen Rea was brilliant. Who would have thought a middle-aged man in a trilby and bog standard glasses could be so chilling. Really didn't know what was going on half the time - actually most of the time!

4. And Jay - the fantastic Rafe Spall?!
    *shudder*
    He managed the no mean feat of being both sinister and darkly funny at the same time.

5. <u>The best thing on TV this year</u>. It wasn't that hard to follow, although I liked the quote "So it was all about pensions." Perhaps the TPS needs a Garehouse.

cyolba, wondering if Blix has done anything else :)

6. Gatehouse, of course

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Stephen Rea should get a BAFTA nomination for Gatehouse, and how did Rafe Spall manage to carry off that whole psycho drug dealer thing sounding like a deranged Alan Davis? Brilliant stuff.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Superb stuff.

9. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Why did the bloke (Christopher Ecclestone's mate) scatter all the money off a high roof?

10. It was marked money, so couldn't be used. Yes, how scary was Spall. Deeply unerving, the smiling assasin.

11. I'm trying to pursuade my son to watch it on iplayer but it requires some concentration and persistance.
    I thought it lost it's way somewhat around the middle episodes and I was sorry Sharon D Clarke went out so early. I only really felt Jonah was a human being towards the end........but brilliant stuff. The Irish clock shop, the final scenes on the moors,the man in the hat, the touches of red which were in many scenes.
    Don't be alone stirring red soup or pasta sauce!

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It's been pointed out elsewhere online that any lighting of the gas was a motif for impending doom in 'The Shadow Line'.

I also thought it was clever how Beade the heroin dealer almost became a sympathetic character, thus blurring the lines even further.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I knew I shouldn't have read this thread (potential spoiler). . . . . .I'm moving on to Ep. 5 today. Only found out about it two days ago so catching up on i-player. It's brilliant, I am loving it. Anybody else get a really strong sense of theatre from it, the lighting, the chiaroscuro . . . .especially in the indoor scenes . . .wouldn't be surprised if the producer and/or camera work was inspired by stage crafts rather than the traditions of tv drama.

14. I avoided spoiling I hope but the last couple of episodes are stunning.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Too complicated for me - I watched it as a series of brilliantly tense interactions between beautifully acted characters but what was it all about? Looked great.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

No spoiling was done. I have just watched the last few episodes and I cried. Really powerful stuff. The music was haunting, I think that womans voice will stay in my mind for some time. Better not say too much more incase folks are still catching up.

17. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

i found it brilliant although i always get a bit lost in the lots of thrillers. The title music was excellent and coincidentally i heard the band on radio two this afternoon - Emily Barker and the Red Clay halo apparently. They also did the music for Wallender.